North County San Diego has a strong appeal for seniors as place to retire, given its weather, amenities (shopping, dining, tourist attractions, beaches) and reputation as a destination retirement area. I've had several calls and emails in the last week from senior buyers in other parts of the country who are planning, or considering, moving to Carlsbad or nearby communities.
With great interest rates, a healthy inventory, and prices that are lower than they have been for several years, buying a home in a seniors' community can make a lot of sense for some buyers, provided they have decided that is the type of residential area they wish to live in. Choices vary, from manufactures homes to stick built (build on site), from detached to condo, and complexes vary in the amenities they offer, such as clubhouses, pools, spa and planned activities. Most senior communities are gated, but not all, thus if this is important it should be verified up front.
There are a total of 360 homes in the 55+ (Seniors or age restricted) communities in Carlsbad, Oceanside, Encinitas and San Marcos. Here's an update on the housing market in our seniors' communities in Carlsbad:
- There are 43 seniors' homes on the market as of April 7 in Carlsbad
- The Carlsbad real estate market for seniors consists of manufactured and mobile housing (excluding assisted living and similar rental properties)
- There are 8 3-bedroom homes and 35 3-bedroom homes available
- Prices for 3-bedroom homes range from $119,900 to $466,000 - all are detached properties, some adjacent to a public golf course; 2-bedroom homes range from $72,000 ( for a double-wide manufactured home) to $659,000 (for a highly upgrade manufactured with ocean views).
8 seniors' homes have sold in the first quarter of 2009 at an average price of $186,687; these homes were on the market an average of 119 days, sold at 88% of asking price, and at $114/SF in general
Carlsbad offers a number of seniors communities; there are homes along the coast road (Route 101), some with views of the ocean (and priced in the $400s and up) and others are several miles inland.
Here are some of the more well-known 55+ communities in Carlsbad:
- Rancho Carlsbad - gated, with adjacent public golf course (all the homes are on streets name Don ____, such as Don Ricardo and Don Ricardo)
- Solamar - gated, along the coast road; you can live on Easy or Friendly Street if you wish
- Camino Hills - gated, across El Camino Real on the hills overlooking Rancho Carlsbad
- Lakeshore Gardens - gated, along the coast
If I can provide more information about the seniors real estate market in Carlsbad and nearby, please let me know. Here's map of Rancho Carlsbad in Carlsbad of El camino Real south of Calavera Hills.
View Carlsbad Real Estate - Rancho Carlsbad Seniors Community in a larger map
If I can provide more information about Carlsbad and surrounding areas, or the housing market in general, or otherwise assist you in your homes search, please contact me by phone or text at (760) 840-1360 or email me at JDowler@remax.net.
All content copyright © 2009 Jeff Dowler Carlsbad Homes and Real Estate Tidbits