Let's get down to business, you can't be successful if no one knows who you are.
1. Get a Website- Seems basic, but it's invaluable. The largest market in the world is the Internet. You must have a presence. If you don't have a website already, here is a place to start.
- Free Website: Free Websites
- If you have the money, I would recommend doing some research in your niche market. See what other successful Agent's are doing. Find out who is hosting their websites and get the details.
2. Blog- Content is king on the Internet. Blogging is a great way for people to get market information in their local areas. You can sign up for blogs for free.
- We use the #1 Real Estate blog Active Rain, try it.
3. Get Optimized- SEO:Search Engine Optimization, if you don't know what this means it's time to figure it out. I would recommend doing some reading here. SEO Book This is the #1 E-Book on SEO out there.
- There is a ton of information on SEO on the Internet, use it.
4. If You Don't SEO, hire Someone that does- These companies aren't cheap, but this can make or break your business. The year is 2009, and 84% of buyers start there home search on the Internet. If you're not there, someone else is.
- If you want some ideas on SEO companies, we recommend this site Top Seo's. This is a list of the top rated SEO companies for any size of business.
5. Submit Your Site to Free Directories- A free directory creates links to your website. It's kind of a complicated process, and I would recommend you hire a professional. If you know what you're doing I would check out this site: Top Ten Risk-Free Link Building Methods.
- If you know what you're doing, and are looking for some free directories to start with, check out: Top 50 Free Directories.
6. Online Flyer's- an online flyer is a great marketing tool. You can track who has been looking at your flyer, and how many times. It's a great way to market a listing, and it's free! Check out these free flyer sites:
7. Take A Computer Class- If all this is overwhelming take a computer class.(I know you may not have time to take a class.) Which leads us to our next point.
8. Hire An Internet Assistant/Webmaster- Go to your local community college or University, and find a student with some experience to help you with your website. They are usually cheap and are always looking for school projects.
9. Google It- If all else fails, you can find just about anything you want from Google.
- Research your questions. Someone has probably already answered your question, you just have to find it.
10. Create Link Bait- This is a whole job in and of itself, check out a great article here on What is link bait?
11. Write an Article on 101 ways to.... If you put your time and effort into this type of writing, it can become viral. Viral, in Internet marketing, is a good thing.
12. Start Social Networking- Facebook, Blogging, Twitter, Digg, Delicious. Dive into the action and let people know who you are. Don't be scared it's actually kind of fun!
13. Get a Business Email- Stop using your AOL, Hotmail, G-Mail, accounts. A professional looking email can go a long way in looking the part.
- When you sign up for a website try to get at least 5 emails associated with your domain name. Most website companies have this implemented into their pricing plans.
14. Website For Every Listing- Having a website for each listing may sound difficult. Well it's not at all, and your sellers will be impressed that your are giving their listing its own URL.
- Try this Single Property Website out.
Those are the basics to Internet marketing. There's a whole world out there on the Internet, and when I say world, I mean: The World Wide Web
Build Your Client Base
It's more important then ever to find new clients in today's market. Prospecting should be a high priority. This brings me to my next section:
15. Ask For Referrals-This is the key to real estate. Don't be afraid to ask for referrals, people don't know you need them, if you don't ask. If you're new to the industry, you may not have a client base yet. But if you have friends...
16. Market Your Friends- I can't tell you how many clients I get from people I know. Let your friends and family know you're in the business, and let them know often!
17. Network- Hand out business cards.
- Leave a good tip at a restaurant, and give them your business card.
- Go to one of your kids school functions, talk to people. This is not the business to be shy, be confident, and let people know how good business is.
- Check out this networking site: Top Five Ways to Network Effectively at a Meeting
18. Magnetized Business Cards- The great thing about a magnet is it's useful. They have a purpose other then sitting in a drawer. If you can get front page fridge placement, you're always in view of a potential client.
- Check out this Business Card Magnet website.
19. Door Hangers- Go door to door and hang your listing information on all the doors in a selected neighborhood. It's great exercise and it will get you out of the office for a while. It's also a great way to blow off some steam, and chat with the locals about their market.
- Here are some great Door Hangers, and cheap!
20. Answer The Phone- This goes without saying. Be available! You never know when it could be a new client.
21. Free Free Free- Incentives are a basic way to generate business.
- We give a $50 gift to anyone who gives me a referral after it closes. (In Utah that is the maximum we can give, and no soliciting.) Be sure to follow your state approved guidelines.
22. Promote a Local Business- There's nothing like word of mouth marketing. Sending people to a local business can be a great way to generate yourself some business.
23. Get Involved In The Community- Attaching your name to your community is branding 101. Get out there and be somebody!
- Plant a tree on Arbor day.
- Go visit the elderly.
- Enjoy the people in your community, and they will return the favor.
24. Hand Written Thank You Cards- Just because you closed a deal doesn't mean you're done. Send a thank you card with a small gift.
- We usually give a $50 gift card to a restaurant or Lowe's after every deal we close.
- We also send thank you cards after every listing appointment.
25. Quarterly Mailings- Stay in touch. This goes back to networking. Network, network, network. Send a small card that offers them something of value.
- Show your clients you're still in business and appreciate their past business.
26. Thirty Day Follow Up- I always call my clients to check up 30 days after closing a deal. Make sure there are no surprises, and get an overall feel of how they're doing.
27. Holiday Cards- This is the time for giving. Again let your clients and mailing list know you are still in business.
28. Post Cards- I send out post cards about every other week to all my sellers.
- “The Purpose of Feedback,” let's our sellers know why feedback is good.
- “Understanding The Real Estate Market,” helps sellers know why they are or are not getting showings.
- “Freshen Up,” keeping your house smelling good always helps!
29. Write a Newsletter- this is a great way to inform your local market of new listings, solds, and comparables. Again, I can't stress this enough stay in contact!!
30. End of Year Closing Gifts- we like to give a ham or a nice flower from a local business. We promote a business in my area and give something valuable to all the clients we closed that year.
31 .One Year Anniversary Cards- this is a good time to let your past clients know you love referrals, and you're still in business.
This may seem like a lot of work, but who said it was going to be easy. If you want to be a successful Real Estate agent, you definitely have to work for it.
The best agents are great at time management. There is only so much time in a day, and if you use it wisely it makes all the difference.
Be Your Own Boss
32. Go To The Office Everyday- if you're not at the office, you're not getting leads. Being at work, answering phones, and interacting with client's will create new business.
33. Get A System and Organize Your Clients- I can't stress enough how important it is to keep your contacts neatly stored.
34.Get Digital- There are a number of ways to make appointments and store contacts. Find what works for you.
35.Get Top Producer- Top Producer is an amazing software program to help you get digital.
36.Get A BlackBerry- The blackberry is an amazing business tool. Emails are key, and you can't always be at your computer. A blackberry, or another email capable mobile device, is the solution.
- If you don't know what a Blackberry is, click here.
37. Appointment Book- if you're the old school type, or just like to write things down for easy access. The appointment book is a good way to go.
38. Pre-Printed Address Labels- Saving time by having your name and address on envelope labels is a great time saver.
39. Automatic Payments- are essential to time management. Setup as many auto payments as possible. This will also help with the depression of sitting down and sorting through bills.
40. Pay Your Bills On Schedule- Easier said then done. If you want to keep good suppliers, pay on time, if not early. You can also get benefits from your suppliers by being a good client.
41. Keep Your Bills In One Place- This is key to paying bills on time, keep them visible and don't lose them!
42. Your Time Isn't As Valuable As You Think It Is- I hear a lot of complaining from other Realtors about clients wasting there time. Remember you work for them. Their time is also valuable, find a schedule that works for everyone.
43 .Only Be Upset/Mad For 24 Hours- Moping around won't get you any money, and surely isn't good for business. Your always going to have something come up, or fall through. How you handle this makes the difference between a good agent and a bad one.
44. Set Clear Defined Daily, Weekly, Monthly Goals- Make goals and keep them visible. We hang our goals where we can see them constantly. “Goals in sight are goals in mind.”
- What Am I Going To Do TODAY.
- What Do I Want To Do This WEEK.
- What Do I Want To Do This MONTH.
45. Outline Yearly Goals- If you complete your small goals this goal should be achieved. You will find your clients wanting to help you with your goals if you make them highly visible.
- Number of closings.
- Number of new clients.
46. Schedule Time Off- You can't work all the time. Making sure you have time for yourself and family will keep you sane.
47. Hire An Assistant- We have teams at our office for a very specific reason. You can't do it all on your own.
Time management is a never ending battle. These are just a few tips, find what works for you and stick to it.
Markets are always changing, listings are added, put under contract, sold and expired every day. Stay up to date, it can mean all the difference to your clients.
48. Go To A Star Power University- These classes are absolutely amazing. They train real estate agent's. It's what they do, and they train them well.
- How do I attend a Star Power University? Star Power University. Check out their website.
49. Talk To Successful Agents And Co-Workers- This goes along with networking. People who have been in the business are gold mines of information. Good luck, some agents are more open then others.
50. Know Your Inventory- Basic real estate 101 right? You would be surprised how many agent's fail to know their inventory inside and out.
51.Read A Book A Month- There are 1000's of books on real estate, so you better start now!
52. Attend Market Leader Seminars- Find the leaders in Real Estate and plan a vacation around a time they are speaking publicly.
53. Good Title Companies or Escrow Agents- Ask around, see who is the best in your local area.
54. Good Lenders- There are differences in lenders, find the best one in your area, and promote them. Ask other agents who they think does the best job.
55. Continuing Education Classes- Most states require you to continue your education. The more you know the better you serve your clients, stay up to date.
56. Client Surveys- Ask your clients to give you honest feedback. Send them an anonymous feedback form to get the truth. When you get the feedback don't personalize it, grow from it.
57. Be Willing To Change What Isn't Working- If it doesn't work fix it, and fix it quick. Don't get so set in your ways you can't change.
58. Charity- Learn from charities, and how they grow. If you can grow a business without making money you're doing something right. Charities usually have excellent business model's.
59. Weekly Meeting- Meet with your broker/agents weekly. Listen to problems agents are having, and come up with solutions. This is a great way to brainstorm and come up with new ideas.
Staying educated is the culmination of your efforts. An educated agent is a successful agent.
The Daily Routine
Everyday business can become a routine. A good routine is good for time management. When you get in a routine, you become the agent you want to be.
60. Real Estate Bible-Get a big black binder and put all your contacts, all your listings, all your buyers, anything and everything that would be used in the field, and take it with you.
61. Dress For Your Clientel- You don't have to be Gucci if you work in a rural market. Dress the way your clients do, or who you want to represent.
62. Write Your Ideas Down- Ideas last for about ten minutes in your head.
63. Post It Notes- What would we do without them?(rhetorical question)
64 .Smile- A smile is contagious, sometimes you just don't have it in you. On those days, close your door.
65. Don't Sweat The Small Stuff- Easier said then done. If you focus on the short term. You will be overwhelmed to the point of not being able to function. If you can't function daily, your clients will find someone who does.
66. Build Your Business Around What Works For You- List your strengths and weaknesses.
- Work to your strengths and delegate your weaknesses. This comes back to hiring an Internet/assistant marketer. If you're not proficient don't waste your time.
- Find someone who excels at it and your team will be stronger.
67. Return Phone Calls- You can't answer the phone all the time, but you can return all your calls. Do this religiously, and in a timely manner.
68. Follow Up With All Showings- Whether you showed a house to a buyer, or another agent showed your listing, follow up and stay informed.
69. Call Sellers With Feedback- Plain and simple, yet required to succeed.
70. Check Lists- Make a checklist and check off your daily activities as you go.
- Your brain releases endorphins every time you check something off. It's science, but it makes you feel good.
Stay The Course
71. Back Up Your Files- Your computer is going to crash someday. If you have your files backed up it's not a big deal. If you don't, this is the worst headache you will ever have.
72. Past Clients- Call one a day, don't be annoying, be helpful. Provide them with something of value to THEM. Give them updates, let them know how the market is doing and so on. This isn't a phone call about you.
73. Go Out To Lunch- Get out of the office, network, and leave a good tip.
The daily routine can seem like a grind, keeping your goals in a visible place can make all the difference.
Have A System
A system can keep the daily routine a “routine.” It's nice to know what to expect every day. Your clients can throw you for a loop. If you have a great system to handle these clients, your business will run like a freshly oiled machine.
System of Control
74. Buy A Label Maker- The label maker is one of the greatest inventions to organize a business.
75. Buyer's Guides- Make a guide for buyer's.
- First time buyer's guides are great to have when you show up to an appointment with a new client.
- Explain what a Real Estate agent does, and why they should use one.
76. Seller's Guides- Inform sellers of valuable information. Have it written down so they can refer to it throughout the selling process.
- Good for listing presentations to show what to expect. Details are good.
77. Market Trends- Up to date information is the lifeblood of your listing appointments. Don't falsify information just to get the listing. This will bite you in the @$$ in the long run.
- When you present at a listing appointment, you need to be current.
78. Listing Binders- A separate 1 inch binder for all your listings is easy to find and a great way to keep organized. Go to Staples and setup a rewards account to save some money. Office supplies are a necessity.
79. Offer Folders- Create a system to process your offers, checklists are nice for this. Make sure you take care of every detail. This should be the bread and butter to your success.
- The more of these the better. (:
80. Keep Your Sellers Separate From Your Buyers- This is your fiduciary duty. Make sure to keep a system in place that won't allow for a breach of your fiduciary duty.
81. Statistics- People like to know how you're doing, and how your office is doing. Let them know, be open.
82. Flyer's With Lots Of Pictures-Great pictures can sell a house. Hire a professional, the money is worth the outcome.
- Keep Flyer's on all your signs, and at all times.
83. Most Bang For Your Buck Advertising- The Internet has a lot to offer when it comes to free advertising. Get a system and stay up to date.
84. Keep Your Website Up To Date- Having a website requires maintenance. You need to monitor your website daily.
85. Yearly Expense Spreadsheet- Know your budget, and stick to it.
86. Yearly Sales Spreadsheet- Track your sales to complete your goals.
87. Yearly Advertising Budget- Advertising can be fun, but expensive. Know your limits and don't get carried away.
Some agents just aren't system agents. I would recommend hiring an assistant that is. It makes a huge difference in the level of success you will achieve.
Why are you still reading this? Oh, you want to succeed, and believe in education? Good for you, and good for your business.
88. Phone Book Ad- This add should get you on the Internet site as well.
89. Activity Book For Kids- Make a coloring book for the kids. When your showing homes nothing can sidetrack a showing like grumpy kids. Keep them entertained and your client focused.
90. Join The Better Business Bureau- Self explanatory.
91. Find A Hobby- You can't work all the time.
92. Market Pretty Yet Functional- Make sure what you're doing is worth it. Don't waste resources on something that won't function properly.
93. Don't Buy Windows Vista- Vista plain and simple, just doesn't function.
94. Catchy Headlines- If your marketing the Internet or on paper, catch the eye of a potential client and reel them in. Make them want more.
95. Why You Are Better- The art of marketing you. Be different, stand out in a sea of fish. Find what makes you better, and market it.
96. Write an E-Zine- You can post articles here to get your name out.
97. Email Leads-If you do all this right you may be getting email leads. Make sure to follow up with emails promptly, and don't give up after the first time of no response. You should work your internet leads religiously!
98. 3 in 1 Printer- Fax, Copy, Scan. It's a must in this business, I would recommend something cheap because it probably won't last long anyways.
99. Pay Your Dues- You can't be in business if you're not legal, period.
100. Internet Addiction- Don't get addicted to the social networking.
101. Most Of All: HAVE FUN!!
I hope I could be of some help to make your 2009 prosperous.
If you have any suggestions to increase this list or make it more useful email us at: Lisa@LisaUdy.com
This entry hasn't been re-blogged:
Re-Blogged By Re-Blogged At
Find what you need?
See More Blog PostsAbout Real Estate! SEE MORE NOW!