Charleston SC is considered the friendliest city in America and also one of the World's top tourist destinations. People come from far and wide to experience the laid back lifestyle and the history of the great city and its people. But, what many people don't know is that Charleston is a city of firsts. Being one of the oldest cities in America, Charleston has been a pioneer in many great accomplishments. The list includes:
- America's First Female Artist - Henrietta Johnson (1670-1728)
- America's First Female Pirate - Anne Bonny (1698-1720) associated with legendary pirates such as Blackbeard and Stede Bonnet.
- First Fire Insurance Company - 1736
- First Municipal College - In 1770 The College of Charleston (CofC) was founded. I graduated from CofC with a BA in History. Great school and awesome campus in the heart of the city.
- First Golf Course & Club in the US - 1786: The South Carolina Golf Club at Harleston Green. The South Carolina Golf Club would ultimately evolve into the Country Club of Charleston, which remains in existence today.
- South's first music store- 1819-1970 located between King and Beaufain Street downtown.
- World's first Submarine attack - 1864: the confederate Hunley rammed a Union warship in the Charleston Harbor.
- First Public Museum - The Museum of Charleston 1773
- Oldest Chamber of Congress in continuous operation - Charleston Chamber of Congress formed 1773.
- First Business Publication - July 1774
- First Fireproof Building - 1823, current home of The South Carolina Historic Society at 100 Meeting St.
Michael J. Johnson, Realtor, ABR