The large building at 602 Francis, St Joseph MO, was built in 1918 as a Department Store where Townsend Wyatt and Wall occupied the building until 1983.
Townsend Wyatt and Wall was the lead department store in Downtown St. Joseph, carrying up-scaled clothing, furniture, small appliances and more.
Residents recall the luncheon counter where shoppers and visitors came for a quick lunch and a fountain coke.
The 3rd floor was the mezzanine where shoppers could sit, rest and watch others shopping. The basement was called the bargain basement where shoppers could save money while still shopping at Townsend Wyatt and Wall.
After the doors closed the building remained empty for many years, occasionally being rented for storage.
In the late 1990's the building was purchased by Jeff Smith & Company.
This was the first residential rehab project that took place in the Downtown St. Joseph area. The Townsend building was converted into 46 residential apartments opening in 2003.
Today, Jeff Smith & Co. still owns and operates the residential apartment building along with additional properties in St. Joseph.
read other items about St Joseph