Before I give my list, let me say that I am an ASP, and I plan to keep my designation current-I've always been modest, and "staging naked" just wouldn't come natural! I also work with Kate Hart and pay her the same referral fee I give to any other stager who sends me a lead. I am happy to do it and honored that she considers my work to be the high quality she would recommend.
I think there is little argument that Barb Schwartz has done more for the Staging Industry than anyone else. Personally, I wish she would join forces with other industry leaders, but then again, she didn't become the successful business woman she is today by listening to me!
Okay, here goes, 5 things I wouldn't do:
- Bring a horde of people into your home! (I will come with 1 or 2 assistants and make sure the entire home has cohesiveness.)
- Use Raffia. (Or if I do, you won't notice. It was described in class as "stager's duct tape". Let's use it as such and keep it hidden!!)
- Spray your Lawn Green. I just won't.
- Use anything in your home you will have to throw away the next day! (I never got how those fresh-cut leaves and greenery, that will only last a day at best, are helpful. If you have to replace it and clean up the mess it made, how has that helped you?)
- Show up with a bad perm. (Okay, that was tacky. Anyone of us over 30 has been there, and Barb's new "do" is great!!)
Anything else you saw you wouldn't do? I'll be anxious to hear.
Kim Dillon, Creative Eye Home Staging