Delaware Property Transfer Tax Exemption - Qualified AREAS (New Castle County) ATTENTION: Delaware First Time Home Buyers
Delaware Property Transfer Tax Exemption - Qualified AREAS (New Castle County)
ATTENTION: Delaware First Time Home Buyers
Many Delaware municipalities and counties have enacted the 1½ percent tax, so generally the Delaware transfer tax is a total of 3% (1½ percent to the State and 1½ percent to the county or municipality). This amount is split between the buyer and seller of real estate, unless the parties agree otherwise.
The State offers NO Property Transfer Tax Exemption; however, the New Castle County has an exemption - .75% of county transfer tax fee - for first time home buyers (FTHB).
- In the City of Wilmington, you are a first time buyer eligible for the Property Transfer Tax Exemption if you have not purchased a residence in the City in the last three years.
- In unincorporated New Castle County, you can never have owned residential property anywhere (including other states or foreign countries) to qualify for the exemption.
AREAS THAT QUALIFY FOR FTHB EXEMPTION:
- 26 - City of Wilmington* (2-Digit Number Represent 1st two positions on parcel number)
- UNINCORPORATED, New Castle County
AREAS THAT DO NOT QUALIFY FOR FTHB EXEMPTION:
INCORPORATED, New Castle County (2-Digit Number Represent 1st two positions on parcel number)
- 15 - SMYRNA (Town) Note: Part of Smyrna is in Kent County
- 16 - ARDEN (Village)
- 17 - BELLEFONTE (Town)
- 18 - NEWARK (City)
- 19 - ELSMERE (Town)
- 20 - NEWPORT (Town)
- 21 - NEW CASTLE (City)
- 22 - DELAWARE CITY (City)
- 23 - MIDDLETOWN (Town)
- 24 - ODESSA (Town)
- 25 - TOWNSEND (Town)
- 27 - AREDENTOWN (Village)
- 29 - ARDENCROFT (Village)
- 30 - CLAYTON (Town) Note: Part of Clayton is in Kent County
- NCC Deed Office
- HELP LINE (302) 395-7700
Information in this post is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. This post is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for legal, tax or other professional assistance.
If you have any real estate questions, please contact me. Whether buying, selling, or just curious to learn more, I'm here to assist you. Please contact me with your questions. I look forward to hearing from you.