As we know, Florida is a mecca for retirees and snowbirds. Many of these people find themselves with lots of possessions and a big house they no longer need now that the kids have their own places. So one of the basics of retiring to Florida often includes downsizing from the previous home.
If you fit this category, here are a few tips that you may find helpful in deciding what to get rid of and how to go about it before your move to Lakeland real estate.
1. Determine What to Keep. If you know the size of your new home, or at least the range of square feet that you're planning on purchasing, you'll be better able to select what larger pieces of furniture to keep and what must go. If you have 3 bedrooms now and will only have 2 at the new location, pick and choose the best pieces to fill the 2 new rooms and get rid of the rest. If you currently have a room for a home office and will now only have room for a small desk, you might consider visiting an office store for organizational storage.
2. Sort Out Any Must-Have Items. Everyone has some things they just can't seem to be able to part with. Go through your house and determine what these items are so you can be sure you'll have enough space for them in your new home.
3. Ask Relatives What They Want. Once you've determined what to keep, you may want to send a list of the remaining items to your children or other relatives so they can make known what they would like to have. Using their lists of choices, you can then make the final determination as to who gets what.
4. Sell or Give Away the Rest. For items that you don't plan to move with you, and relatives don't want them either, you may want to have a garage sale or sell them on consignment. If neither of these choices seems attractive, you can simply give them to charity. In fact, many local charities will often come directly to your home and pick them up.
5. Use Colored Stickies to Keep Track of Items. As you go through the process of choosing things to move with, what to give to friends and relatives, and what to sell or give away, it's helpful to put colored stickies on each item to enable you to easily keep track of what is going to your new Lakeland real estate and what is staying behind.
6. Pare Down Kitchen Items. If kitchen cabinet space will be at a premium at your new abode, empty your cabinets, determine what you want to take, and see how many cabinets this will fill. Repeat this process of elimination until you're only taking what you'll have room to store. Chances are, once you're in your new home, you won't even miss the items you left behind.
If you're planning on downsizing and moving to Lakeland, let the Boyce Team help you find the perfect house for you. If you already live in Lakeland and just want a fresh start, they have many listings from which to choose a great new home.