It's no secret Sacramentans are in need of a little comfort and respit, from the stormy weather we have been experiencing. Here's a favorite Chili recipe I sometimes cook on days like this. Adding Carrot and Mango makes it a little different than most chilis - I hope you enjoy - perhaps even for the upcoming Super Bowl game!
- 1 1/2 lbs Beef Steak cut into ½" cubes
- 2 cans (28 oz. each) Kidney or Pinto Beans (drained & rinsed)
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 Mango cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced canned tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups dark beer
- 1 cup shredded cheese, for topping
Brown the meat and stir to break up the pieces.
Add the onion, green bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, salt, cumin, and cayenne, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and their juices, mango cubes, and the tomato paste, sugar, and beer to the pot.
Stir well and bring to a boil.
Simmer at medium-low temperature, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
I enjoy when served over a bed of either Corn Bread or Polenta.