How can I effectively sell my vacation property?
Price it right!
- Remember what year it is. This is 2010 and many people have their properties at 2006 prices! The market has made a correction.
- Make sure you're not being sentimental when setting your price.
- Most people must finance! You can ask any price, but will it appraise for that price? Some Sellers are now paying a professional appraiser to find the true value of their property.
- Never use the tax appraisal for your pricing.
Get the word out!
- Advertise, find an agent who can advertise! If you think a "For Sale" sign will sell your property in a gated community, think again!
- Make sure your agent is using the internet. Not just posting your property on the multiple listing services!
Know when to sell!
- Know what the selling season is for the area. This isn't when everything is up for sale, it's when things sell!
- Some people want to use their vacation property all summer long and then put the house on the market in the fall. This is backwards and usually backfires...
- Don't let your listing go stale! Leaving a house on the market for 300 days straight is only going to warn buyers that something is wrong!
Do you really want to sell?
- When you decide to sell, sit down and make sure that everyone concerned wants to sell the vacation property.
- Make sure, when you leave the property after spending the weekend that the property is show ready.
- Let your agent know when you'll be spending time at the property. Communication is everything !
Use a trusted professional!
- Selling your house or property isn't easy. Work with a professional and get weekly updates!
- Interview more than one agent.
- Make sure the agent you choose has knowledge of the area or developement
- Get it everything in writing! I put my services in writing. Most agents will and have no problem doing so...
It's not easy selling property when you are absent. Make sure you choose the right person to represent your interests.
I sell what I know and appreciate...
©2010 Paul S. Henderson, How can I effectively sell my vacation property? All Rights Reserved