I am so excited as I found out recently that I have been accepted to study for 4 weeks at the Parelli International Horsemanship School in Pagosa Springs. I am so thankful to be in the real estate business where I can conduct my business remotely and not have to worry about missing work. I will be in Pagosa from end of August until end of September in the Instructor course fullfilling a life long dream. Follow my journey at http://excellencewithhorses.blogspot.com/
Anyway, as I was doing my daily studying in the program, I was reflecting on the Top 10 Qualities of a Horseman and how they apply to my real estate business. Ponder these for your business as well.
10 Qualities Of A Horseman (and of a great real estate agent)
1. Heart & Desire (there is nothing a horse wont do when he is a part of you. And there is nothing you cant do when you have true heart and desire for what you are doing - are you living your passion?)
2. Respect - mutual respect for others and respect for ourselves. This means setting boundaries for yourself ie one of mine is that I respect my life work balance and as a rule dont take calls after 5:30 each night.
3. Impulsion (this means equal whoa and go, or to you as a human, managing your energy level depending on what the situation needs from you - this also could be mirroing your client through the DISC personality profiling).
4. Flexion - being flexible, for a horse that means being able to position him/herself and their weight for the maneuver you ask - for us I would think it means physical health as well as mental flexibility
5. Attitude & Focus - need I say more?
6. Feel - you have to have feel to have timing balance and savvy. For us in real estate, it is keeping up with the pulse of the market, industry ect and really knowing what is going on in the moment. It is also on a personal level having "feeling" for your client, your fellow real estate agents and anyone else you come in contact with.
7. Timing - once you have feel, you can start to develop timing. Doing the right thing, at the WRONG time wont be effective for you. So timing is critical - think about this - this applies to the techniques you use in your business, your strategy, dialogues etc.
8. Balance - wiith horses this means that you have an independent seat when riding and dont rely on your saddle. That you are perfectly balanced. For us in real estate, balance means so many things - life/work balance, balance in having business from various spokes ie past clients, distressed properties (reo and short sale) and retail clients - you have to have balance for your business to be steady.
9. Savvy - ah my favorite - savvy is knowing where to be, when to be, why to be and what to do when you get there.
10. Experience - there is no substitute for experience. Did you know that if you did anything for a long enough period of time and did it consistently, your chances of being really good at whatever it was is very high? That is a pretty powerful thought. Remember though, practice doesnt make perfect, only perfect practice makes perfect.
Hope this was helpful and make it a wonderful week!