Passport To History - Blind George's Newsstand - Grants Pass
The second stop on filling out our Josephine County Historical Society Passport To History was Blind George's Newsstand.
Blind George's is THE place to go in Grants Pass for popcorn! You can pick up lottery tickets, caramel corn, an ice cream cone or snacks as well. They have the best selection of magazines and newspapers in Grants Pass. Blind George's is also a great place to stop and have a hot dog and soda for lunch.
Blind George's was established in 1922 by George Spencer. He had been a gold miner and logger before he had paralysis of the optic nerve. So, he opened his newsstand with about $40 worth of inventory.
In 1946, George's guide dog Effie was one of the first seeing eye dogs in southern Oregon. Effie was accidentally shot in 1955 and became crippled. George got a new dog he named Pebbles, and he and Effie trained Pebbles in just 10 days.
George Spencer died in 1968 and left the newsstand to his long-time employee Thelma Booth and her husband. They later sold the newsstand to their son Dale, who ran the store until 2002 when he sold it to Diann Gilbertson.
Blind George's original newsstand was located at 328 SW 6th Street and in 1960 George moved across the street to 117 SW "G" Street. This is where Blind George's is currently located.
The aroma of freshly popped corn and real butter makes it impossible to walk by Blind George's without stopping for a popcorn.
With its' history and longevity, it's easy to see why the Josephine County Historical Society included Blind George's Newsstand in its' Passport To History program.