Alabama offers numerous off-grid living opportunities, particularly on some of my listings of land for sale in West Alabama.
I have received enough phone calls from people searching for "off-grid" properties in the past few months to prompt me to look into what these buyers are searching for. Here are a few of the qualities that appeal to "off-grid" buyers, and why I believe west Alabama is a good location to purchase your "off-grid" property.
1. Distance from a big city. Many of these buyers like the idea of being far enough away from big cities to prevent people from walking to their land, but also want to be close enough to enjoy some of the amenities the big city offers like shopping, restaurants, and quality hospitals. Marion, where I live, is 25 miles to the closest Super Wal-Mart, so I am already in the small number (10%) of Americans that are over 15 miles from a Wal-Mart.
Perry, Hale, Dallas, Greene, Bibb, Sumter, Wilcox, Marengo, and Lowndes Counties are all located within 60 to 100 miles of Birmingham and other cities, and would make a good place to purchase a rural off-grid tract.
2. Water source-Alabama is blessed with lots of fresh water; numerous rivers, streams, creeks, lakes, the Gulf of Mexico, and ponds. You can easily drill a private well or utilize an existing spring to bring water to your home.
3. Agriculture/ Gardening- The Black Belt of Alabama has some of the most fertile and productive soils anywhere. You can raise your own livestock, grow a garden, keep poultry and farm fish in these rich soils.
4. Lowest Property Taxes in the Nation and some of the lowest-land prices in America.
5. Talladega National Forest- Perry County has over 32,600 acres of National Forest land, so finding a property that borders some piece of the federally-owned land is not difficult. I personally believe, that "Good Forests Make Good Neighbors".
Rural land in West Alabama generally is unrestricted or is minimally restricted compared with land near cities. There are many opportunities for solar and hydro power and geo-thermal heating and cooling. Satellite internet is usually available, HAM radio towers are usually allowed on most rural tracts, building codes are also fairly relaxed. You can build a beautiful log cabin or a functional yurt, whatever your heart deisres.
West Alabama is a good place for you to buy an off-grid property, so please contact me if you are interested in purchasing some rural land for sale in west Alabama.