We hear every day that you get what you pay for. Consumers apply this logic to many facets of their lives. If you need legal counsel or need to see a doctor, you are going to select based on their expertise, not on their hourly rate. We hire them because they can help us. We understand that the experts may charge more but in the long run will cost us less.
We apply this logic to most things. So why don't we apply that same knowledge when selecting a realtor? Too often one of the first questions a seller asks is "What do you charge" or "what is your rate?". I think sellers ask the wrong questions because they don't know which questions to ask. So here they are...The list of interview questions you should be asking your agent:
- Why should we select you as our Realtor?
- What areas do you specialize in?
- Are you a full time real estate agent?
- What is your average list to sale ratio?
- How long are your average days on the market.
- What are the market averages for this area. (Ask for proof)
- What is your strategy for marketing this property?
- How many people are on your team?
- Can we terminate our contract if you fail to perform?
- How and how often are you going to communicate with us?
- How will you help us get our home ready to sell?
- How will other agents schedule showings on your home?
- How often will we discuss market conditions?
- and most importantly How are you going to net us more money than other agents?
You should select the agent who:
- Will be HONEST with you about the market and show you supporting data.
- Will get your home SOLD
- Will net you the most amount of MONEY
- Will get your home sold QUICKLY
Great agents accomplish this in many ways. Properly pricing your home will generate interest in your home. They will help you stage your home so that it appeals to buyers. They employ a sound marketing strategy that will reach more buyers and agents increasing the number of showings. More showings to interested buyers increases demand for your home. Lastly, the best agents are great negotiators getting you more money and better selling terms!