You should always ask questions before giving to a charity so you can feel confident about your decision to donate. Therefore, when a charity calls or comes to your door, you may want to ask some or all of the following questions:
- What is the full name of the charity?
- Is the charity a "registered charity"? If so, what is the charity's registration number?
- Will I get a receipt for income tax purposes for my donation?
- What is the mission and goal of the charity?
- What activities does the charity do?
- Can you send me more information before I donate? Does the charity have a mailing list or newsletter to which I can subscribe
Mailing lists and newsletters are great ways to keep up to date on the charity's accomplishments and programs and to see how your support can make a difference. You should never feel pressured to make a donation on the spot. If you feel unsure, it is perfectly acceptable to postpone your donation until you have researched the charity.