Call this a friendly reminder. We all can get more involved, without being motivated by a possibility of more business. My theory is that when do do these sorts of things, works that help others, you will actually feel better. And, if you feel "better" you'll perform better, getting something out of your actions everyday.
I was raised, and raised my children, with the credo "Charity begins at home." For my family, HOME is not just the 4 walls with an address, where we sleep -- It's our entire community. Even if they live 20 miles from our house, if they are in our vicinity, they are our neighbors and a part of our "home". I don't have to know your name, I just have to know that you live in my community; that alone makes you a part of my definition of "home".
Like many communities today, my community of New Hanover County, NC has been hit by the poor economy. We certainly haven't been hit as hard as some, but we've felt the effects. More are in need, and fewer are helping. Many people think they need to do something big to help, and if they aren't in a postion to do that, they do nothing. But it's all the little things we do that add up. The little things DO make a difference.
To this end, I am challenging my AR friends to find a way to contribute to their "home" in a way that is meaningful to them. This could be:
- Volunteering at the animal shelter or donating food, blankets or toys for the residents
- Donating canned goods to a local food bank -- how about at your next Broker Open you ask agents to bring a non-perishable food item?
- Reading to residents of a nursing home (take along some hard candy)
- Donate blood or host a blood drive through your local REALTOR® Association
- Donating clothing or toiletries to a homeless shelter
- Rake up the leaves in your elderly neighbors yard
- Donate a few school supplies to the school closest to you -- they can always use them!
- Help clean up a local park or beach
- Have your office host a food drive -- the need is great just about everywhere, and your local food pantry will be eternally grateful for the donations!
There are so many ways to do something for your community, you are really only limited by your imagination. As a local real estate leader you probably already have an idea where the help is most needed in your community.
I'd love to hear about what you've done. I think it would be great to share with one another how we are able to make a difference in our communities, so I am going to make this a Public Post. Please leave your comments with a link to your favorite charity or even a blog you wrote about how you are making a difference in your community. I want the word to get out -- so tell us all about it! This is one of the charities I am donating my time and $$ to. I am hoping that together we can encourage a Spirit of Giving in our hearts and "homes", wherever, or whatever you deem them to be.
In my opinion we should all do for others whenever we can because it's the right thing to do and giving of ourselves builds a strong community. But if you want another reason? Stronger communities will go a long way in helping our local real estate markets. Now, can you think of any reason that wouldn't be a good thing?
Let's do what we can, when we can, where we can, because Charity Begins at Home! Tag, you're it!!!