Fourteen Days of Romance - Day 6: Chocolate Volcano Cake
For a romantic dessert, try this cake. It is the ultimate chocolate cake: rich, moist, but not oily. The secret lies in the combination of vinegar and baking soda as rising agents for the cake. (Think about your science volcano projects in school. But no, the cake does not actually erupt.)
You can serve this cake as-is, powder it with confectioners' sugar, or top it with your favorite chocolate icing or glaze. Whatever you choose, it is certain to please your Valentine.
Chocolate Volcano Cake
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder (Ghiradelli is best)
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
1/2 cup Canola oil
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 pint strawberries or raspberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Grease and flour two round cake pans
3. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt
4. Mix in water, vinegar, oil, and vanilla. Stir until batter is moist
5. Pour batter into pans. Bake for 30 min or until done
6. Cool pans on a rack
7. Remove cakes from pans
8. When cakes are cooled, frost cakes if desired. Serve with berries.
For best results, eat with your hands!
More Romantic Ideas: