How To Get Us To Click On The Suggest Button! 400 Called Shots and Counting!
Yesterday was another milestone for us, we hit 400 Called Shots! :) We hit 300 on January 19th (read that post on the details of how Calling Shots works), so we average over two a day out of our five opportunities!
Now if you're an Active Rain newbie, you may have "bling envy" of all those folks with all the badges underneath their comment photos, and the purple box with the star is perhaps the EASIEST bling of them all to collect! All you need to do is correctly pick FIVE posts that the Active Rain staff ultimately Feature on the front page! There's no time limit for the five, so keep trying, use your five opportunities to pick and you will EVENTUALLY get there!
What makes us click the Suggest button?
- Great writing! We don't care of it's a blogger with 1,000,000 or 1,000 points, you write an outstanding post and we've got a Suggest left, we'll use it! If it's something we think the rest of our A.R. peers would benefit from reading....CLICK!
- Post early! Most days we're reading by 6 a.m Eastern. Depending on how much outstanding writing was done during the "night shift" by our favorites and what flies across the blog roll early in the morning, there's a good chance our five Suggests are gone by noon E.S.T. if not MUCH sooner! Sorry....and we OFTEN find a post in the afternoon or evening that we WISH we had a Suggest left for...but we only get 5, and on any given day we read WAY more than five feature worthy posts. Let's face it, there's only about 20 spots a day out of 2,000 posts, so MOST won't make it!
- Teach us something! Whether it's an Active Rain skill, or something that helps us with video, SEO, web design, impressing our clients and you explain it well, we're clicking that GOLD button!
- Tell a great story! It may be a recent event, or something from your past, but engage us! We want to get to know you better!
- Get a discussion going! We love a good comment stream, and often it's not the post itself, but what starts happening as a result of the post that gets us to click. There's SERIOUS education in the comment streams!
- A little aesthetic appeal doesn't hurt! Do we have to have a picture or colored font? NO. But if it's hard to read because you have no paragraphs, no spacing...just one LONG run-on of small type, we might have trouble clicking that button.
That captures the bulk of what makes us tick when clicking the Suggest button! (And bonus if the poster shows some real creativity in presenting the topic!).
So get out there, READ and CLICK for the worthy posts! Help someone else get that Gold Star!
Keep on Blogging!
Liz and Bill aka BLiz