HUGE SAFETY WARNING FOR HOMEOWNERS!!! While performing a home inspection in Glenwood, Iowa, I was checking the A/C sub-box's wiring. I went to put the metal cover back on and the cover hit the lugs, sending sparks flying. Luckily, I had my hands in the reflex position to contract away from the wiring and not extend towards it. (Note: If you ever check electrical boxes, backhand the panel before attempting to open it. If the metal cover is energized, your muscles will reflex away from the box. If you have your palm side of your hand touching it, your muscles will extend your arm forward and you'll continue to get eletrocuted until the main breaker trips or until you fall to the ground.)
After looking closely at the A/C sub-panel, I noticed the lugs the cover touched were sticking out past the plastic protection. The whole point of the plastic is to ensure that the metal cover can't physically touch the energized lugs. Whoever installed the sub-box didn't install it properly!
For my fellow home inspectors out there reading this, I've never come across this in over 9 years of performing home inspections. I came REALLY close to getting 220 through my body. Take caution!
Dear God, Thank you for keeping me safe!!!