I was asked this question the other day and I had to answer but spread out the cities. It wouldn't be a good answer if I just picked cities from Gwinnett County, so here's the answer I gave.
METRO ATLANTA - includes 13 counties
- Alpharetta - The high appreciation, parks, schools and shopping make this the most sought after location outside of the city. The drawbacks are traffic to and from Atlanta and the high prices.
- Suwanee - Named by money magazine as one of the top 10 places to live. Suwanee has parks, great schools access to many great shopping opportunities and it continues to grow. Housing is extremely affordable as well.
- Marietta - Marietta is one of the most convenient cities on the north side. It has decent schools, slightly high prices and a few parks. It's very convenient to Atlanta. The east side of the city features one of the best schools in Georgia. Several athletes have come out of the high schools here.
- Peachtree City - Or "pilot city" - this city is where a lot of the pilots live from Hartsfield. The schools are better than the average South Atlanta school and price are reasonable. Out of the areas south of I-20, this one has some of the lowest crime statistics.
- McDonough - I'm trying to name cities all around Atlanta, so this one makes the list. Usually it doesn't come close. Homes are very affordable and the schools are slightly above average.
Other Great Cities: Lawrenceville, Dacula, Grayson, Snellville, Duluth, Roswell, Cumming, Vinings, Kennesaw, and Dallas. The combination of great schools, things to do and affordability make these great choices.
- Riverdale - high crime and poor schools make this one an awful choice.
- Norcross - Mostly non-English speaking residents, likely to alienate anyone that doesn't speak at least one of the many languages represented here. Gangs abound as does crime.
- College Park - Great place to go to college, not a great place to go to school or leave a car unattended
- Forest Park - Again, crime and poverty abound, some of the states worst schools.
- Sandy Springs - The city may try to "nicen" it up, but the traffic is horrendous and the crime and schools are some of the worst. There ARE nice neighborhoods in Sandy Springs, but the rentals are what makes it not as nice to live there.