I arrived today to a vacant property staging preview for a home to be listed for sale in Plano, TX knowing full well the owners were leaving for their new destination tomorrow. However, I was under the assumption (based on my conversation with the listing agent) that I was only there for a rental furniture and accessory staging bid.
While we are of course able to stage the property with furniture and accessory rental options, there were so many other things that needed addressing that I'd be remiss and irresponsible if I did not at least point them out to the seller so they would understand that these items would most certainly be thought about, if not mentioned by prospective buyers and could be serious objections to the sale, which could translate into no or low offers.
Here's the punch list:
- Kitchen is outdated (pickled pink cabinetry, dark wall paper, brass hardware, original appliances, dark green ceramic tile and green Corian counter tops...)
- At minimum - Paint the kitchen walls
- Replace the hardware
- Re paint the cabinetry
- While we can work with the counter-tops and flooring, it's still not up to standards for buyers in their market
- Replace original carpet (it was stained, needed stretching and showed the wear of 10+ years of use)
- Sand and re stain hardwood thresholds
- Remove and repaint wall paper throughout (mainly the master bathroom & kitchen were recommended due to time/budget restraints and when they were going to list)
- The painters were on-site and were actually touching up and re painting an office the same deep plum it was originally painted. With dark brown built-ins this was a big no-no. I was able to avert that and convince the owners that it needed to be a lighter color - since the painters had only just begun, they agreed and would use the color they had in the rest of the home - an off-white they had used in other parts of the house
- Remove damaged bamboo shades from outdoor patio
- Replace doggy door with matching french door (in attic) to the rest of the back entry area.
- Replace dated entry and dining fixtures
Needless to say and quite understandably (I cannot imagine her stress) the lady of the house was a bit overwhelmed and defending the decisions to leave the house "as is". Her husband was more open to hearing what I had to recommend as I repeated often that I was there as their "advocate to help them sell the house". I wanted to at least disclose objections most buyers wouldn't take the time to say, they just wouldn't make an offer or would expect a substantially lower price based on the updates they would want to make.
This quick list was complete in just under an hour at an investment of $75 for the hour. Originally the visit was only for a vacant property walk through (which is something I charge for but will be credited back to the account should the client decide to stage with my company, Home Star Staging) however as you can see it turned into a home staging consultation. With my policy being that I always charge the initial vacant property preview fee (I can ball park estimate by phone for free though!), I had no problem making these recommendations. It was being paid for and should the client opt to stage further with furniture and accessories I will still honor my credit back policy.
It's a win-win situation for all involved.
Whether they make the recommended changes, stage or not they are educated with very likely buyer objections. This not only assists them but their agent as well in the home selling process. It also helps me qualify that I've done my due diligence in explaining that it's not only about the "furniture and decor/staging" but what stays with the property that counts.
I'll keep you posted should this job go through completion. But word of advice, please try not to wait until the day before your plane leaves to consult with a home stager if you're selling a house!
Home Star Staging is a qualified, insured home staging company and we are always here for you North Texas!
- Affordable pre-list home staging property consultations
- Affordable post list "trouble shooting" property consultations - no matter how long a home has been on the market there are always ways to improve the chance of sale
- Owner occupied property staging (utilizing owner supplied furniture & accessories or including some of our own inventory)
- Vacant & investment property staging (Full and partial rental furniture packages, accessories and staging services)
- Is your office interested in hosting a home staging class or presentation? Just ask! Contact Karen at 496-964-0516 or Karen@homestarstaging.com
- Interested in learning how to start a successful home staging business in TX, OK or NW LA? I can help! I'm a certified course trainer for the Staging and Redesign team!