Getting ready to sell your home in Maryland, heed these great tips from a New Jersey Home Stager. Putting your best foot forward is key to a quick sale.
Preparing Your Home For Sale - The Top 10 Recommendations From a Morris County, NJ Stager
1. Walk through each room as if you were a buyer. Can you move freely about? If not, open up the space by eliminating excess furniture, creating easy traffic flow throughout your home. When selling - less is always better!
2. If possible, use a short-term rental company and store personal items, excess furniture and personal collections – anything that takes away focus from the home’s architectural features and causes distractions – remember you are selling your home, not your lifestyle. (This will also eliminate stress later when it’s time to move.)
3. Clean, Clean, clean - It's the easiest, no cost project and this can't be emphasized enough - nothing turns a buyer off more than a messy, dirty or smelly home - this will send buyers running for the door - trust me on this one!
4. Master bedrooms and baths should appeal to both sexes - if yours is gender specific, balance it with some masculine/ feminine accessories - pillows, art, greenery, a well placed throw and use neutral bedding - your grandmother's homemade quilt isn't going to cut it!
5. Painting the interior of your home is the greatest ROI (Return on investment) when selling. Is the color palate of your home uniform throughout with neutral colors? Keep in mind, you are appealing to the masses - choose taupes, beiges, creams and grays. Another bonus is these colors go with almost any decor. You can add pops of color using art, throw pillows, floral center pieces, plants and a well place throw.
6. Look at upscale hotels online– they are staged to appeal to the masses – clean, crisp, clutter free, updated. Outdated wall paper and boarders should be removed - this is one of the biggest buyer turnoffs and they often move on. In today’s market buyers want turnkey homes!
7. Assume buyers will be looking in your closets, cabinets, attics and basements…because they will! Organize what you must keep, and store the rest. Buyers want to know your home has enough storage space to accommodate their stuff.
8. Fix broken screens, running toilets, door hinges, leaky faucets and door bells - Yes, I'm beating a dead horse, but these are big turnoffs and don't invoke any confidence that your home is well taken care of –the kind buyers are looking to buy!
9. Open all blinds, eliminate heavy window treatments and take down outdated vertical blinds that scream the 80’s. Let the natural light shine in - this cheers up and brightens the home, making it more spacious and airy – just what today’s buyers are looking for!
10. When selling it’s hard to be objective about your own home because your are too emotionally attached - consult a professional home stager to help you prepare your home for today’s market, giving it the competitive edge over your competition!
Home Staging Morris County - Kristine Ginsberg
Elite Staging and Redesign (201)602-2562
When you're looking to sell quickly and for top dollar, Elite Staging and Redesign of Morris County knows how to get the job done right. We will use proven techniques to create warm, inviting, updated spaces that will appeal to the masses. In today's competitive market, every home can use an edge and that's what Elite Staging is all about.
Home Staging Website: Elite Staging and Redesign
Morris County Staging Before/After pictures: Portfolio