Are you looking for a home out of area? Are you going to be moving a long distance?
Here are some tips:
1. De-Clutter - De-cluttering is a must, and it's not always easy. Even if you aren't forced with stripping down to the bare necessities, moving things you don't really need a long distance is not worth the trouble!
2. Organization - Staying organized is imperative; keeping track of shutting off and starting new utilities, changing your address, scheduling your moving van and other to-dos need to be kept track of. Making to-do lists in either writing, on your smartphone, or on your computer should be done.
3. Planning - Plan your trip! If you're planning on driving, you'll need to plan your trip. Will you take your time and see sights? Or are you booking it---trying to get there quickly? Printing out a map of directions (Google Maps, MapQuest, etc.) is a good idea but a physical map in the car (Thomas Guide) is also very useful when Google Maps takes you on a confusing or wrong route.
4. Know Your New Area Before You Get There - It's a good idea to get familiar with your new area before you even move there. Check the internet -- a quick Wiki search will give you some basic facts but also check blogs (ActiveRain's Localism Posts) for more in depth articles, reviews of businesses in town, and photos/videos. Of course, your real estate agent of course would also love to help and be able to share information about the new area.
5. Enjoy the Journey! - Moving can be stressful and hard and full of emotion, but it is an adventure, in any capacity, and should be marked as such.
Resource: Pack it Up