Things that Go BOOM in the Night...

Home Inspector with Complete Home Inspections, Inc.

Things that Go BOOM in the Night...
     Gas is one of those commodities we bring into our homes, and like electricity, we missing gas line cap...take them for granted. Homeowners and sometimes service personnel often neglect simple safety features - that is until things go BOOM!!! in the night.
     The property was no stranger to inspectors, having been inspected twice by two other local companies. As the reports were lying on the counter, I had to snoop. Much to my amazement, neither had anything to say about this potentially unsafe condition.
     Even though there is a gas shut-off installed, shut-off valves can leak or open if they get jarred. Any time a gas line has been disconnected from the appliance, it is mandatory that the gas line be capped to prevent leakage. If a leak develops and this condition goes unnoticed, this American dream could quickly become someone's worst nightmare...

Posted by

Complete Home Inspections, Brentwood TN 615.661.0297


Re-Bloggged 1 time:

Re-Blogged By Re-Blogged At
  1. Chris Smith 08/23/2011 05:13 PM
Spam prevention

Accessibility option: listen to a question and answer it!

To submit the form,
drag the graph to the circle on the side.

Type below the answer to what you hear. Numbers or words, lowercase:

ActiveRain Community
Tennessee Williamson County Franklin
Blogs Happen...
Franklin Real Estate
Independent Thinking Inspectors
Nashville Real Estate
Tennessee Highways and Byways
michael thornton
complete home inspections inc
nashville home inspections
nashville home inspectors
nashville real estate

Comments 26 New Comment

Show All Comments
Ginny Gorman
Homes for Sale in North Kingstown RI and beyond
Phillips Post Road Realty ~ 401-529-7849~ RI Waterfront Real Estate

Yes, i've been in those instances where it was less evident & it does scare me for sure...i've had defective fittings that were leaking gas...

August 23, 2011 06:46 AM
Conrad Allen
Webster, Ma, Realtor
Re/Max Professional Associates

Hi Michael - Two inspectors missed that. Scary is the right word.

August 23, 2011 07:51 AM
Kenneth Cole
NYS Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Weichert Realtors Appleseed Group, 2043 Richmond Ave. S.I.N.Y. 10314. office phone 718-698-9797, -

Good catch Michael, and good morning to you.

August 23, 2011 07:58 AM
James Dray
AR., MO., or OK. I can find the home for you.
Wise Custom Realty

I guess someone needed the gas line for another appliance

August 23, 2011 08:05 AM
Laura Cerrano
Authentic Feng Shui Expert
Feng Shui Manhattan Long Island about lazy inspectors the other 2 were.  That is scary and sad at the same time.  Knowing that this can change a persons life and from it seem they did not care.  Good thing you serviced them Michael, they are surly in good hands :)

August 23, 2011 08:08 AM
Rebecca Gaujot, Realtor®
Lewisburg WV Real Estate, Greenbrier County
Coldwell Banker Stuart & Watts Real Estate

Michael...we have a condo in Arlington and our nephew was staying with us during the week.  We walked into the condo and smelled gas.  Leaving the door open, we checked the kitchen, and the knob on the range (located on the front) was on.  My nephew says he must have brushed by and not knowing, hit the knob.  that was really scary...could have gone BOOM!

August 23, 2011 08:13 AM
Brenda Mullen
Your San Antonio TX Real Estate Agent!!
RE/MAX Access

Wow.  It's a darn good thing that you inspected and were able to inform the owners of this condition before it became too late.  I don't have anything but electricity and am still scared that stuff will go boom :)! 

August 23, 2011 08:44 AM
Patricia Feager, MBA, GRI, Cert Negotiations Expert, Military Relo Prof
The Little REALTOR® That Could
Keller Williams Realty


Thank you for sharing this extremely important information. Here in TX almost all houses are all electric, like mine. A few have gas and with all the vacant houses, it's good to know.

I've lived and survived too many fires - I definitely will pay attention from now on. Thank you very much. I'll be sure to share this information with my BOARD too. Nobody ever talks about it.

Thanks a million and stay safe out there.

August 23, 2011 09:10 AM
Laura S. Baker
Realtor, (920) 728-4118, First Weber Group
First Weber Group

That photo made me suck in my breath but I don't know what is more alarming, the uncapped gas or the fact that two previous inspectors missed that.

August 23, 2011 09:44 AM
Kristin Johnston, Waukesha Realtor 414-254-6647
Waukesha County Realtor, RE/MAX Buyer Agent
RE/MAX Realty Center

Good to remember that even the shut off valves need to be checked for leaks etc...dont take anything for granted!

August 23, 2011 10:07 AM
Don MacLean
Realtor - Homes For Sale - Franklin MA

Amazing that not only did the inspectors miss it, but for the cost of a cap someone didn't do it.

Must have been Uncle Ned lol

Enjoy the day

August 23, 2011 10:39 AM
Craig Rutman
Raleigh, Cary, Apex area Realtor
Helping people in transition

The fact that two prior inspectors missed this is really alarming. It's a good thing they had you on the job to insure that their dream didn't go up in smoke.

August 23, 2011 12:04 PM
Kristine Ginsberg
Morris County, NJ Stager
Morris County, NJ: Elite Staging and Redesign, LLC

Michael - two inspectors missing such a dangerous thing? It begs the question - how are these people in business?! Lucky the family had you and you caught it - you may have saved not only their home, but their lives! This is when a perfectionist personality is necessary attribute to be an excellent home inspector - glad you use it to your advantage!

August 23, 2011 02:08 PM
Wayne Martin
Sales Manager - New Homes & Condominiums Division
Michael Saunders & Company

Maybe the other two inspectors were too poor to pay attention? It's as good an explanation as any other. Enjoy your day!

August 23, 2011 02:55 PM
Rob Thomas
Bristol TN-VA & Tri Cities Agent, ABR, GRI, e-Pro
Prestige Homes of The Tri Cities, Inc. CALL....423-341-6954

Michael....That's amazing! Some people just take shortcuts!
Hope you have a great day!---Rob

Go Vols!

August 23, 2011 03:51 PM
Chris Smith
South Simcoe, Caledon, King, Orangeville Real Esta
Re/Max Chay Realty Inc., Brokerage

Michael, I have never run across an uncapped gas valve.  Hard to believe two professional home inspectors both missed it.

August 23, 2011 05:07 PM
Randy Ostrander
Real Estate Broker, Serving Big Rapids and West Central MI
Lake and Lodge Realty LLC

Good evening Michael. Could have been disasterous. Scary the other guys missed this. Even the seller should have seen red flags here.

August 23, 2011 07:23 PM
Kenneth Cole
NYS Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Weichert Realtors Appleseed Group, 2043 Richmond Ave. S.I.N.Y. 10314. office phone 718-698-9797, -

Update; Tuesday early afternoon, something went boom in the daytime all up and down the east coast.

August 23, 2011 07:37 PM
Joshua Zargari
MJ Decorators Workshop
MJ Decorators Workshop LI staging and home decorating

Good evening Michael.

Those are great safety points.

One should never neglect the safety measures.

August 23, 2011 08:09 PM
James Quarello
Connecticut Home Inspector
JRV Home Inspection Services, LLC

Maybe the other inspectors couldn't lean over the dryer due to dunlop's disease. :)

August 24, 2011 03:32 PM
Show All Comments

Michael Thornton

Home Inspector - Nashville, TN area - 615.661.0297
Ask me a question
Spam prevention

Accessibility option: listen to a question and answer it!

To submit the form,
drag the airplane to the circle on the side.

Type below the answer to what you hear. Numbers or words, lowercase:

Additional Information