The search is over and you’ve finally found the perfect home. But did you get to know the neighborhood? What seems like a utopia on the first visit, may be the opposite once you do a little research. Below are 6 tips for getting to know your prospective neighborhood and find your piece of paradise.
- Make Multiple Visits. See the neighborhood at different times of day and on different days of the week. What seems like a quiet place during the day, may be filled with road noise and barking dogs at night.
- Drive the Surrounding Area. Is there a power station or landfill nearby that you weren’t aware of? If you aren’t already familiar with the surrounding area, you may discover hidden aversions.
- Points of Interest. Where is your favorite grocery store, bank, and restaurant in relation to the subdivision. Where is the closest fire station and hospital? Do you need a park nearby? These are important things to consider in relation to your lifestyle.
- Check the Local Crime Reports. You may think a well-populated condo complex or a quiet country subdivision is a safe place to live, but a crime report may tell you something different.
- Neighborhood Market Statistics. Your agent may have told you the value of the home based on recent sales in the subdivision, but what about past statistics? How have home values fared over the last 5-10 years? Are values rising or falling? This is important information to consider based on the amount of time you plan on living in the neighborhood.
- Extras Amenities. Find out if the type of cable and internet services you want are available. If you not, find out what is and the costs involved with changing your service.
The Bouma Group has been helping Ann Arbor area home buyers find their perfect home for over 20 years. We’ve come across almost every type of home buying situation and know from experience how to navigate this difficult real estate market. For more information on home buying and selling from the experts, be sure to visit our Ann Arbor Real Estate website and check us out on Facebook today!