The articles on the Internet involving real estate always intrigue me. I google many topics on a regular basis to see what I can learn or what I can pass on to my clients. Recently I had a client ask me if I had a list of steps involved in selling her home. While I have this list in my head and in long articles, I didn’t have a simple checklist, so off to the search engine I went. I was surprised to find many articles on "For Sale by Owner" topics but very few articles on a simple checklist for "Selling with a Real Estate Agent." I figured that would be a great topic for my next blog, so here goes:
- Prepare your home for the market. Curb appeal, maintenance, fix anything that’s broke, fresh paint, pet odors. After visiting your home, I could also give you a list of to-dos that you may miss.
- If you have a mortgage, check with your financial institution to determine your payoff amount. If you intend to sell this home and purchase another, you also want to speak with them about your financial situation to be sure you qualify to move forward.
- Meet with your Real Estate Agent and determine a fair market value for your property. Pricing is crucial! Your agent should prepare a CMA (Comparative Market Analysis) for you, pricing your home in line with the realistic market. If you and your agent are not in agreement over the price, the best solution is to hire an appraiser to give you a price.
- Sign listing contract and additional forms, such as property disclosures, utility information, etc.
- Home goes on the market, signs go up, advertising begins.
- Be ready for showings at all times. While you will typically receive a 24 hours notice for showings, it’s easier to pick up some clothes off the floor and wash the dishes rather than having to dust, scrub floors, clean kids rooms and the rest of the house with little time to spare. You will be stressed and your house will show it.
- Receive an offer. Negotiate. Hopefully come to agreement. Sign contract. Not all offers result in a contract and not all contracts result in a closing. Be prepared for that ~ Emotions can run high!
- Buyers will have inspections, appraisal and title search done. As of now, typical time from offer signed to closing in Belmont County is about 45 days.
- Prepare to move.
These are the basic 10 steps to selling a home. Of coarse there are many additional details with that and dozens of scenarios that could occur. Working with a real estate agent, you’ll always have somewhere there who can guide you through each curveball. For a more detailed guide to selling your home, email
email@example.com for a free copy of the "Home Seller’s Guide – Learn to sell smart."
Melissa Sall, Realtorâ
Sulek & Dutton Real Estate