If you are selling your home with Phyllis Frankel Realty Group and moving, the thought of packing up your belongings and settling into a new location may be quite overwhelming. However, you can make the move without enduring too much stress and aggravation, provided you organize and prepare for your next move.
Here is our list of actions you can take to make your next move a smoother one:
1. As soon as you have a closing date, schedule the moving company so you can be sure you are certain you will have your move covered.
2. Begin collecting moving boxes. There are a number of places where you can usually score boxes, including liquor stores and grocery stores.
3. Pack what you know you won’t need or use in the near future ahead of time.
4. Use a color-coded system when packing. Head to your local office supply store and stock up on colored stickers that you can use to identify where the boxes will go once in the new home. For example, all boxes with a red sticker will go to the kitchen.
5. Hold a yard sale to clear your home of unwanted things before packing them away. Plus, the money you make can be used to cover some of your moving expenses!
6. Order change-of-address cards and send them to family, friends and business associates about two weeks before your move.
7. Make a list of all creditors, utility companies, magazine subscriptions and newspaper subscriptions so you can better keep track of those you have contacted regarding your move.
8. If possible, take the family on a trip to see your home new before your move so you can identify the location of parks, playgrounds, grocery stores, shopping malls and public transportation. It is also important to take your children on a tour of their new school before making the move.
9. At least two weeks before the closing date, call the utility companies for your new home to set up service so you won’t be without electricity, water, gas, phone, cable, etc.
10.Contact your realtor and gather all necessary paperwork so you can prepare for the closing.