At this time of year the amount of fires tends to increase dramatically as people burn more candles, use more lights for show, use electric and gas heaters for warmth. Recently we have had some terrible losses in the tri-state area as a result of accidental fires. Here are some tips to help in preventing fires in the home during the year:
- Keep heaters at least 3 feet away from anything that is flammable
- Do not use electrical cords that are damaged
- Do not overload an extension cord
- When cooking on your stove top NEVER leave the room and NEVER leave children unattended
- NEVER throw water on the beginnings of a grease fire
- Keep fire extinguishers
- Never burn candles within 3 feet of anything flammable. Always blow out when you leave the room or go to bed
- Always test your smoke alarms and replace your batteries twice per year
- Don't forget about your pets!
- ALWAYS HAVE AN ESCAPE PLAN - ALWAYS PRACTICE IT WITH YOUR CHILDREN AT LEAST ONCE EVERY SIX MONTHS
If there ever is a fire, GET OUT, then call the fire department. Fires spread quickly, family safety should be the first priority.