If you are preparing your home for sale, take a good look at your closets before listing your property for sale.
1. First, empty them out! Keep only the items you will need on a daily basis. The rest, pack up and move to a storage area.
2. Do they need painting or other repairs? If so get it done before listing. Don't forget to paint any shelves if they need it.
3. Do the doors work properly? If the doors 'drag' on the carpet have them shortened. If the doors are folding, make sure they open smoothly and with little effort. If the doors are sliding, make sure they slide easily and have the tracts repaired or replaced if necessary.
4. Consider installing 'double' closet rods. One high and one low.
5. Consider leaving some of the closet doors open slightly during showings.
Buyers in this market are very interested in the amount of closet space a home has. The bigger the better. Clean, bright closets give a much better impression of space.