Port Jefferson Station
Beginnings: The area was first known as Comsewogue, which in the language of the Setalcott Indians means a place where several paths come together. The first white resident was William Tooker, who by 1750 was living in a house that still stands on Sheep Pasture Road at Reeves Road.
Turning Points: Port Jefferson Station remained primarily a farming community until the 1950s. But there was a spurt of development in 1873, when the Long Island Rail Road extended service to Port Jefferson. The depot was designed by Stanford White. The construction of Nesconset Highway in the mid-1950s opened the area for rapid development. The area known as Comsewogue has drifted south over the years.
Claim to Fame: Maurice Richard in 1909 erected a factory south of the tracks and west of Route 112. It housed his Only Car Co., the name referring to the fact that the car's engine had only one cylinder. Richard produced only a few cars before the company failed. In 1921, the Port Jefferson Lace Co. opened in the warehouse and eventually expanded and became the Thomas Wilson & Co. employing 300 people. The lace factory produced mosquito netting, camouflage nets and parachutes in World War II and surgical leotards that helped prevent vascular problems for the first astronauts. The lace operations continued into the 1980s.