It’s important to keep your family and your home
safe during the bad weather season.
Therefore, the City of Amarillo’s
weather and emergency management officials are urging all Amarillo residents and those in surrounding towns to prepare for the upcoming storm season.
And, I have some storm spotter tips to help you do just that since meteorologists are predicting that Amarillo, TX
will have an active storm season this year.
Storm Spotter Tips
* Remain calm during a storm so you can think clearly…If you are anxious you can make bad choices and you can upset those around you.
* Know where to go for safety during tornado weather…Storm shelters are the best place to be during a tornado. You can also find shelter in the basement, under stairs and the center of your home as long as it’s closed in.
* Watch or listen to the severe weather alerts in your area so you will know if a severe storm is headed your way…Your local news and weather station will be able to keep you well informed of severe weather. If you have a storm shelter, you can purchase a weather radio to keep you informed.
* If you’re on the road, do not leave your vehicle…Tune into the local radio station so you will know which way the storm is headed.
* Report tornados in your area with clear descriptions…Only report the sightings of tornado’s and where you saw it.
If you’re extremely worried about a storm you can always take a short trip to avoid it. As a rule of thumb, you should stay southeast of the storm to avoid its damage.