I was asked to post the top five reasons to live in Southeast GA. Hmmmm... I could easily say "Weather, Weather, Weather, Weather, and Weather", but since there are so many reasons other than weather, I won't do that.
Here's my Top 5 Reasons countdown:
5. We have a broad economic base consisting of industrial (Georgia Pacific, Hurcules, etc.); Professional (Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, many banks, etc.); and resort activities. All of these are supplemented by our tourist activity which brings millions of dollars into the area. This multi-pronged economy allows us a cushion if there are problems with one specific sector.
4. Our location is good for many purposes. We're half way between Savannah, GA and Jacksonville, FL, and easy access to I-95 makes us within driving distance of a large portion of the population. Within a day, we can drive to Key West and all of the Florida destinations in between, or we can drive north to DC. And, we're less than 5 hours from Atlanta. As a resort destination, this is great for investors who buy in our area.
3. We have many activities throughout the year for all ages. Jekyll, St. Simons, and Brunswick all have planned activities to lure the tourists. Of course locals can participate and pick and choose their activities. We have art shows frequently, antique shows, many parades, great 4th of July fireworks and festivals in many locations, fabulous Christmas lighting on Jekyll, King fish tournament on St. Simons, and the Brunswick Stew cook-off in Brunswick. There are multiple activities monthly to choose from.
2. We have beaches that are all public with the exception of Sea Island's beach. Our beaches are useable throughout the year, and our sand is hard enough for bike riding and jogging. And while we don't have the pretty white sandy beaches of western Florida, we can play volleyball on our beach. Wind surfing, fishing, sailing, swimming, and shrimping are all activities that are available, and many of those activities are free!
1. OK... the number 1 reason that I live here is because of the WEATHER. After living years in the northeast, I have learned to appreciate the sunshine! And while we have hot weather, it is easy to acclimate to it. Our winter temperatures rarely drop below freezing, and our last snow was for Christmas in 1989! It we want to see snow, see #4 above... we can just drive to NC or North GA. We do have changing leaves, just not quite so many. Our temperature today (Jan. 1, 2007) was in the low 70's. Now this is my kind of weather!
Come see the Golden Isles, and you can create your own list!