It happens to all of us. At one point or another we will all fail. The question is, will you fail successfully?
It seems counterintuitive to succeed at failing, but since we all have been and will be there in the future; there has to be a way to not only face failure, but to make the most of it.
Let’s think of some examples from your real estate business...
You don’t meet your sales goals for you or your sellers.
You lose a potential client to the “other agent.”
You lose a current client to the “other agent.”
You never have time to keep up with your social media.
You stumbled through a networking lunch presentation.
Your first employee quits.
You can’t meet everyone’s expectations.
You feel pushed around by a bossy seller.
You never can catch up on your To Do list.
The list goes on and on...
Now, you’ll notice that some of these “failures” can be prevented, while others are out of your control. Yet, it’s easy to take all failures personally and, after facing a few too many, it can be really easy to get discouraged.
So, how can you embrace these failures and be successful at failing? Below are a few key tips!
1. Acknowledge It- There’s no sense in pretending the failure didn’t happen. In fact, ignoring it can make it worse, can result in internal stress and cause it to take longer to move past it. When it happens, acknowledge it so you can start to move on.
2. Avoid Excuses- When tempted to make an excuse, this saying will come to mind: “Excuses are like feet. Everyone has them and they almost always stink.” (Maybe not the visual you want, but it's true! ) Whether you’re giving excuses to those around you, or are telling them to yourself; excuses are the easiest ways to avoid coming up with a productive solution to the issue. Instead of side stepping the truth, use that creative energy to be proactive in resolving the issue or reaching your goal.
3. Don’t Confuse a Failed Goal with a Failed Person- While it can be hard not to take things personally, a goal that has failed doesn’t mean you’re a failure as a person. Don’t wallow in self pity! You tried something, it failed. You’re still valuable and still have the ability to try again! Evaluate the failure and change what went wrong. The worse thing you can do is get in the mindset of failure; it only sets you up to fail again.
4. Realize You’re Not Alone- Many have failed; we’re human. You can probably remember those stories of famous people who failed many times before finding the success that made them famous. Remember those people, dust yourself off and go for it!
5. Learn the Lesson- There’s always a lesson to learn when we fail, so make sure to figure out what it is! Don’t let a failure come up empty handed. Learn from it and look to the future.
I hope that by reviewing these tips, you feel more confident that you’ll fail successfully from now on! Of course we can work our hardest to limit our failures, but as we know; they’re a part of life.
As Real Estate Virtual Assistants, we’d love to help you avoid failure in any way we can! Whether it’s taking on your social media, handling your listing marketing, creating a customized listing presentation or whatever you need us to do in order to free up more of your time; let us know!
Have something to add? We’d enjoy hearing how you’ve overcome past failures since we can all learn from each other!
Blogging & Copywriting Specialist