The USS San Diego (LPD-22), an amphibious transport dock ship, arrived in San Diego on April 6, 2012. It will be open for tours on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, May 15-17, from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. each day. It will be docked at downtown San Diego's Navy pier.
Tours are free but, being a military ship, there are some restrictions:
No weapons of any kind, and everyone will be subject to search.
Those 18 or older must have a federal or state photo ID.
Children under the age of 18 need to be accompanied by an adult with proper photo ID.
Leave large and heavy bags and luggage at home or in the car. If you bring them, they will be searched.
Photography is okay.
The tour lasts about an hor and will involve several flights of stairs. Wear comfortable clothing and shoes.
Pets are prohibited, including service animals.
The ship is not designed to accommodate strollers, wheelchairs, or those unable to climb stairs without help.
The USS San Diego will be moved to the Navy's pier on Harbor Drive today,
May 14. Commissioning will be at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, May 19, also at the Navy pier.
Originally posted at Mission Valley Living
- Mission Valley Living — Mission Plaza condominium community
- Mission Valley Living — Mission Playmor condominium market
- Out & About San Diego — Mission Federal ArtWalk, April 28 & 29, 2012
- Mission Valley Living — Mission Playmor condominium community
- It's time to strut your stuff at the San Diego Zoo! — Guest post by Russel Ray, San Diego home inspector, and Eric Cooper of Russel Ray Photos
- Run/walk across the San Diego-Coronado Bay Bridge in U.S. Navy's 26th Bay Bridge Run/Walk on May 20
- Out & About San Diego — For the most spectacular views of San Diego: Cabrillo National Monument. It's free this week only.
- Mission Valley Living — Mission Heights condominium market (April 18, 2012)
- CPSC and Viking Range announce dishwasher recall due to fire hazard
- Mission Valley Living — Mission Heights condominium community
- Out & About San Diego — Butterfly Jungle at the San Diego Zoo's Safari Park is now open
- Mission Valley Living — Mission Greens condominium market in San Diego's Mission Valley (March 20, 2012)
- Out & About San Diego — The 2012 San Diego Crew Classic: Rowing season starts here!
- Out & About San Diego — Carlsbad Flower Fields now open
- Mission Valley Living — Mission Greens condominium community in San Diego's Mission Valley