For my friends in Out of the Box - I'm subtitling this one Out of the Can. For the Home Stagers I'll rename it - ROY G BIV a Home Stagers best friend.
ROY G BIV - Is the acronym for the colors in the rainbow.
Do you know them?
You'll have to read all the way to the bottom to find them out.
<no scrolling down>
I'll know if you cheat.
There has been so much said and written about the way color effects mood and ambiance, I thought I'd take a few minutes throw out some of my favorite interior paint colors and I'd love to hear which colors are working for you. Whenever I stage a home I almost always advise the clients to give the home a fresh coat of paint. I advise them to use a neutral color pallet but this does not mean white. White is too harsh and reminds people of hospitals. You often hear people refer to all white interiors as sterile. As a home stager I try for cozy, warm, inviting, and relaxing. I use color to achieve these moods.
Here are some of my favorite Benjamin Moore colors:
- Dry Sage 2142-40 - This is a calm relaxing color that helps to bring the outdoors in. It is a neutral green that looks great in a bath or master bedroom.
- Chestertown Buff HC-9- This is a perfect golden beige color. It looks great everywhere, kitchen's, halls, family rooms. Golden tones are cheerful, bright and soothing. I use this color a lot to brighten up a dark room.
- Shaker Beige HC-45 (light) and Lenox Tan HC-44 (darker) -are two beautiful putty colors. I use them frequently in the living and dining rooms. I use the shaker beige in the living and for a little more drama, the Lennox Tan in the dining room. Beige does not have to be boring. These two colors are stylish and elegant and have almost universal appeal.
- Wedgewood Grey HC-146 - This blue / gray neutral is soothing and calm. It works well in a master bedroom with crisp white bedding. It creates a clean and stylish look.
- Rhubarb 2007-30 - I always use some red when staging homes - I usually add red through the accessories and accent pieces throughout the room. It photographs great and adds punch to any room. OK I never paint the walls red when I am staging a home but I'll let you in on a little secret - the walls in my master bedroom are painted rhubarb and it is stunning!
Red done Wrong. Getting Warmer. Red done right!
If you would like to read more about color associations check out:
To check out more Benjamin Moore colors check out:
If you don't already own one - the Benjamin Moor color preview thingy is a must have for all stagers. You can bring them on the jobs with you and see which colors the clients favor and which will work best in the space. You can pick one up at your local Benjamin Moore retailer for about $20.00.
Man I really sound like an ad for Benjamin Moore lol
I'd love to hear about the colors you guys have been having success using. Please feel free to share.
R - RED
O - ORANGE
Y - YELLOW
G - GREEN
B - BLUE
I - INDIGO
V - VIOLET