YOUR PCS TO Schofield Barracks, Wheeler AAF, Pearl Harbor-Navy, Hickam AF, Kaneohe Marine Corps Bases HAWAII
Military personnel who relocate across the Pacific Ocean to Oahu, Hawaii are surprised at the differences in homes compared to the ‘mainland’ (Continental United States) upon arrival. SHOCKED may be a better word. The interior sq/ft as well as land area of properties are the biggest shockers.
Our island in Paradise is UNIQUE.
WEATHER: Tropical paradise to say the least. Our ‘seasons’ are defined by sunny balmy blue sky days with trade winds most of the year round unless it’s during the ‘rainy’ season. And our rainy season may have a week of rain and then back to the sunny weather or raining on one side of our island and sunny on the other. You will need a sweater at most and a raincoat at best for outerwear.
If it's one thing we all will agree on is that the Hawaiian Islands are full of beautiful tropical scenery that will captivate you to no end.
HAWAII CULTURES: You will be in a totally different environment and need to keep an open mind for a brand new experience with Hawaii's diverse community full of ethnic groups and cultures from all over the world! Expect everything to be different from the Continental United States. There are many races (i.e. Hawaiian and Polynesians, Asian, Portugese, European, Hawaiian, Tongan, Samoan, Caucasian, African American, Spanish, Guamanian, Puerto Rican etc) with different beliefs and styles of living. And the food? We have all the fast food places but why keep eating burgers when we have such a variety of foods/restaurants to choose from?
- HAWAII EMPLOYMENT: Hawaii has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation. The vast number of military stationed in Hawaii or vets who are from or retired here make up about 10% of our population on Oahu. Spouses surely have an advantage for employment on any of our military installations if they have been previously been employed on base. We also have many jobs in the tourist industry including but not limited to hotels, restaurants, historic and scenic sites and so forth.
- HAWAII HOUSE HUNTING: Make arrangements with this Realtor® to give you information and send you a e-relocations packet and start you out with your online search for your home purchase. If you are planning on just renting you can always inquire within our Property Management division of Century 21 Liberty Homes a couple of weeks before arrival to see what we have or will have available at the time of your PCS to Hawaii. We do not ‘hold’ properties or rent ‘sight unseen’ and rent on a first come/first served basis.
- HAWAII VA GUARANTEED LOAN: The most important thing to consider before utilizing your Hawaii VA Home Loan benefits is what you want to allot yourself for a monthly mortgage payment. Make sure you are dealing with a local lender who knows our Hawaii Real Estate Purchase Contract as well as our Hawaii Real Estate Laws. You want someone physically on the island who will be walking you every step of the way through your loan process…just as you would want a seasoned Hawaii Real Estate Agent who knows the local area, the Purchase Contract, Market and Laws.
- HAWAII LOCAL AREAS AND MARKET: During our home search online you may see a home that may interest you. I'll be sure to give you the comparable prices for the home that interests you according to the local neighborhood market, year built, sq/ft, #bedrooms and baths. If it's way below market value…well, it just may be too good to be true! We will also need to choose between condos, town houses and single family homes according to your price range. (which is determined by your conversation with your local lender who prequalifies you)
- HOUSEHOLD GOODS: My biggest tip: DO NOT bring all your big furniture and household goods because I can guaranty that the size of the home/townhouse/condo you are able to afford may not match your former home with a large interior space you had on the ‘mainland’ (Continental United States). Bottom line is that we have only so much buildable space on each island so therefore the ‘price you pay to live in paradise’ comes into play.
- HAWAII PCS PETS: We have strict laws for PET RELOCATIONS as well because we DO NOT have rabies in Hawaii (we also don’t have snakes) If you are bringing your pet be prepared months in advance with the PLANNING YOUR PET’S MOVE BROCHURE. Also, MANY condo/townhouse complexes have strict rules about pound limit on dogs or types of pets allowed so make sure and have this agent check on the community association rules.
There’s definitely a lot to think about and plans to be made when you are going to PCS to your new duty station in Hawaii. Your local REALTOR® will not only know about all real estate but the local area, businesses, history and points of interest.
It's not easy moving across the Pacific Ocean to a totally different "world"….
Although with effort, motivation and a great REAL Estate Sales Agent….
It WILL make it a whole lot easier!
Our office is located in Mililani Town in Central Oahu and 10 minutes from Schofield Barracks and Wheeler Army Air Field. We are also located about 20-25 minutes from Hickam AFB & Pearl Harbor Navy Base although I service all of the island of Oahu.