I love statistics and I often poll my clients to see how they feel about home related items...
I conducted this poll of my last 21 listings that have alarm systems;
- Out of the 21 houses;only 20% use the system daily.
- Out of the 21 houses; 17 paid for monitoring, average cost $24 per month...
- Out of the 21 houses; 4 knew what doors and windows were covered...
- Out of the 21 houses; 3 knew how to make temporary pass codes. 18 gave out the master code...
Out of the 21 houses; The main reasons for getting the alarm system;
- 6 homes couldn't remember
- 6 homes said it was already installed
- 7 homes said for Peace of Mind
- 2 homes said they had been burglarized then bought their system
Out of the 17 monitored houses; only 8 could remember the emergency phrase to give if the alarm went off and the company called to verify. In those 8 homes; only 3 spouses also knew the code...
- 4 had been charged for false alarms by their city or county
The top five reasons for not using the alarm;
5. Can't afford the false alarm fee
4. Afraid it might go off
3. Forgot code
2. Just forget
And the number 1 reason
It's just too inconvenient!
After all of this only 4 homeowners could remember changing the locks on the doors after they purchased the house; how many changed the codes?
How many keys are still out there?
This post was authored and picture was taken by Paul Henderson. ©2012, All Rights Reserved , This content may not be reproduced or reprinted (Except for ActiveRain Re-blogging) without express written permission of Paul Henderson, RE/MAX Professionals, Tacoma, WA.