If you're going to make it in this real estate business, you'd best have a little Tom Sawyer in you.
- Be persuasive. If you've got to whitewall a fence, make it seem like so much fun that everyone wants to do it. Tom was the epitome of a fantastic salesman and we could all learn a little from him.
- Be a little mischievous. If you're not having fun, then why are you doing it?
- Show some imagination. Tom tried to cure warts with a dead cat. Didn't work, but at least he learned that it didn't work. If you've got an idea, try it. Even if it doesn't work, you've still learned something.
- Use the gifts you have to better your position.Tom's friends gave him treasures for the privilege of whitewashing his fence and Tom turned around and traded the treasures for Sunday School tickets and was given a Bible as a prize. If you have some skill, turn it into some bigger skill.
- Play some hooky. All work and no play makes anyone a dull boy indeed, and Tom knew that better than anyone.
- Swear blood oaths. If you promise to do something, or to not do it, then stick with your word.
- Keep your friends close. Without Huck, Tom's story is a little dull.