Tips to Cut Home Utility Bills - Energy Tips. So how do you make a difference in your energy and utility bills going forward? First you should consider doing an energy assessment of your home's energy use. How to do this energy assessment? Hiring an energy auditor through your own electric company is one way to go. The auditor can take thermal imaging of your home to show areas where the warm air is escaping. Then the auditor can recommend energy effective solutions to improve your energy usage. Go to theDepartment of Energy web sitefor more energy tips but for now use these as follows:
- Wash your clothes in cold water
- Do FULL loads of laundry and dishes to avoid wasting energy and water
- Clean the dryer lint filter after EVERY laundry load to improve air circulation, speed drying and eliminate the chance of dryer fire.
- Take showers instead of baths and install low flow shower heads in all showers
- Fix leaky faucets around the house. Install water saving faucet attachments
- Install energy efficient light bulbs
- Bring more natural light into your home through windows and skylights, reducing the need for artifical lighting during the day
- Turn off appliances or lights not in use
- Unplug block type chargers ( i.e. laptop or cell phone) when not in use. Remember that your charging device is still using electricity if it is plugged in
- Turn desktop computers off when not in use for extended periods of time
- Get a programmable thermostat and have it installed. Don't heat or cool space at a stay at home temperature when you are not home!
Make good energy changes in your home living style today and start saving some bigger change (kaching $$). Christmas is coming is it not?!
Ginny Lacey Gorman is a North Kingstown Realtor who works and knows the North Kingstown RI geographic area of homes for sale, schools, happenings and important tidbits of information well.
Waterfront, water view, ocean front, luxury and coastal Rhode Island real estate are my specialty. If your considering Buying, Selling or Relocating to Rhode Island and need a real estate Professional it would be my pleasure to help you!When you are in need of an internet savvy RI realtor® who sells homes in this real estate market, call Ginny today at 401.529.7849.