Income Tax Return due soon and quick Filing Tips
If you filed form 4868 for the automatic individual income tax form 1040 extension then your federal tax return for year 2011 is due on October 15, 2012. I always need to file an extension due to my Real Estate activities and I still have to mail our tax return. This fact indicated to me to write a reminder blog for all who might have had this due date slip their minds.
Here are few quick filing tips that apply no matter when you file your return.
1) Sign and date your return. If you file a joint return both parties have to sign and date. The IRS will send a letter to you asking for an original signature and/or date.
2) Make a copy of the whole return and make sure you have a copy of the signed and dated page.
3) Attach all W-2 to page 1 of the return where the IRS tells you to attach these forms. Sometimes the IRS unfastened these W-2’s and then send you a letter asking for a copy.
4) Make a copy of the W-2 copy which states it is for filing of your return. If IRS loses your W-2 this is the copy you will send to send to them as per my point number 3.
5) Include a copy of the Form54868 extension and add it to the back of your filed copy.
6) If you are getting a refund make sure your checking account information you provide (assuming you want direct deposit) is accurate.
7) Send your return via certified mail with receipt. I make a copy of the mailing stamp to prove the return was mailed prior to the due date.