We are well into October 2012. For the first time in Austin in a long while we are experiencing fall temperatures! We are not complaining as we are getting a taste of the change of seasons. Winter is just around the corner and maybe closer than we think.
Natural gas is a smart energy source for staying warm and many of us utilize gas for our heat.
Before the chill sets in Texas Gas Service recommends we follow an annual checklist to make sure our natural gas appliances operate safely and efficiently throughout the winter season.
The annual checklist is as follows:
- Have a qualified contractor annually inspect your natural gas furnace, vents, connections and chimneys for corrosion and blockages
- Keep the area around your natural gas furnace and water heater clean and free from Litter. Clean or replace air filters in your heating system.
- Vent natural gas space heaters to the outside. Never sleep in a room with an unvented natural gas heater.
- Make sure your natural gas range top is clean. Wash burners with water and mild detergent.
- Natural gas range flames should be crisp, quiet and blue. A yellow flame indicates a need for adjustment.
- Make sure natural gas water heater air intakes, drain pipes, controls and flue are unobstructed.
- Keep your natural gas meter free of debris and other obstructions at all times.
- Never use your natural gas oven or range as a space heater.
It’s always better to be on the safe side. Make it a priority to take time to follow this checklist…… Protect your family, pets and yourself!
DON’T BE TAKEN IN: Recently, some Texas Gas Service customers have received calls regarding a “utility stimulus.” Please be advised these calls are fraudulent!
Texas Gas Service discourages all customers from providing personal, confidential information to any unknown party! They are asking you to report any suspicious calls to your local police department, Federal Trade Commission or Better Business Bureau.
Local information or events is brought to you as a courtesy by Dorie Dillard, Coldwell Banker United Realtors, you’re NW Real Estate Consultant.
If you are thinking of buying or selling real estate in NW Austin I’d welcome the opportunity to discuss how I can help.
Search for homes in NW Austin
“WE ARE ALWAYS HERE TO ASSIST YOU!”