When I first published this post one year ago, I believe AR had less than 20,000 members. The Borg analogy is still right on the mark.
At dinner tonight I was excitedly telling my husband, Garry, about Active Rain and the close community it has spawned. I told him how we watch out for one another, give and receive encouragement, absorb all the information we can and share it with the group, and how the network is growing by leaps and bounds. Garry said, "You sound like the Borg, part of a collective."
Yes, yes, exactly!
- "The Borg have a singular goal, namely the consumption of technology...
- The Borg only want to "raise the quality of life" of the species they "assimilate..."
- This collective consciousness is experienced by the Borg as "thousands" of voices - they are collectively aware...
- Among the many advantages their collective consciousness affords them, the Borg hive-mind allows for instantaneous adaptations..
- ...they travel the galaxy, increasing their numbers and advancing by "assimilating" other species and their technologies
This is a perfect analogy for AR.
- We have a common goal, to give the best service possible to our clients and to learn to harness technology to that end.
- From everything I have read on the AR posts, the members want to raise the quality of life of their sphere of influence and beyond.
- AR is the ever growing "web," "hub," or "hive" that is giving us a huge collective search engine voice.
- We are all learning how to adapt to the changing marketplace
- We are increasing our numbers by the minute.
We are Borg!
Picture and quotes from http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/library/aliens/article/70558.html. Additional information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borg_(Star_Trek)