There was post on Zillow that really tugged at my hearstrings today. Somebody wrote:
"Just curious to know if anyone else out there is in a similar boat... My husband is in sales and is now in a new territory. Its a great opportunity for us, but like a lot of people, we have to sell before we can all move..."
Boy, we've been to this movie! I really wanted to give some good advice to help these people sell their home, so I spent almost an hour putting together this post. I want to share it with you because I know there is so much pain out there with people needing to sell their homes fast.
TJ, I know exactly how you feel. We wanted to avoid this situation when I got relocated which was the impetus for us creating our home sale system.
First of all, I want to commend you for a great website, then I'd like to make a few suggestions that I feel will help you make it more effective. Is that OK?
Here's what I like about what you are doing:
- You do a great job showing why your home is unique (great pictures, descriptions, etc.)
- You are open and transparent (Disclosure Statement prominently displayed)
- You are a very articulate communicator... even a great storyteller (for instance, your Zillow post about your giant pine tree is fantastic!)
- You have your own descriptive web domain http://1212brownstreet.com... Excellent!
Let me ask you a few questions:
- How do you know who (not how many... but WHO) has visited your site?
- What happens if somebody sees your site and leaves without bookmarking it... How will they remember to come back?
- What are you doing to keep your site fresh and updated often?
- How do you follow up with somebody if they don't initiate contact you via phone or email?
Can you see where I'm going with this. You're site is like 99.9% of the other websites. It's static and unidirectional... for instance you give a lot of great information, but do not request or require anything back from the visitor. It's like driving past a billboard at 70mph on the "information superhighway" and saying "yeah that looks interesting, I have to remember to take a look at that later." Has that every happened to you? How often do you remember to go back?
With some slight modifications, you can use effective Web 2.0 techniques and incorporate a 2 way communication dialog with your visitors that will benefit you in the following ways:
- You can capture email addresses to identify your prospects, and know exactly who is interested in your home. Do this via a "squeeze page" that makes people want to give you their email address for more information, rather than simply asking them to email you. It's a subtle difference that will exponentially improve your results.
- You can employ an automated follow up system that reminds people of your home well after they visit your website.
- You can put up a blog, update your constantly to keep it fresh and give people a reason to come back often.
- Your follow up system can give people the info they want, 24/7 and still allow them to remain slightly anonymous... This is real important in the early stages of looking for a lot of people.
Finally, Video, Video, Video. "Sell the Lifestyle, not the house." Actually show your home videos of your family making memories. This is especially effective when used on a blog.
Be creative, be yourself, use humor... Here is an example of my video, that received TONS of hits for my blog and brought a lot of prospects to my house.
As you can imagine, people were shocked, intrigued, and curious about what I was going to say when they saw my picture! The video was a huge hit, plus it showed off the neighborhood and gave people an idea about our "Lifestyle" and what it was like to live in our home.
OK, I've probably overwhelmed you with information. Take a while to digest this and let me know if you have any questions. You can find my contact info in my profile.
I hope you sell it soon, TJ. I really feel for you and your husband in your situation.
All my Best,
No matter what type of real estate, house, condo, or vacant land; the Big, Bad Home Sale can help you. Attract hungry buyers and sell your house. The Quick and Easy Home Sale System. Visit http://bigbadhomesale.com/ for your free video series "7 Mistakes Most Home Sellers Make"