What a great thought. I've had many people say, "you probably get a lot of business from all the volunteering you do". Well the truth is... I don't, some, but not as much as one would think. I do however make some great contacts. I can then refer my clients, family, and friends to my network of professionals. This connecting experience has been invaluable. Now I'm kind of known as "the go to girl". If you have the time to volunteer in your community, then do it.
Some reasons to volunteer:
- To feel needed
- To share a skill
- To get to know a community
- To demonstrate commitment to a cause/belief
- To gain leadership skills
- To do your civic duty
- Satisfaction from accomplishment
- To keep busy
- For recognition
- To do something different from your job
- For fun!
- Feel good about yourself
- Forget your own troubles
- Teach your children about community
- Make a difference
- Gain a better understanding of people
- Learn about motivating others
- Improve communication skills
- Make a friend
- Gain a new perspective
What do you do with your extra time?