Holiday Safety Tips
All of us know that we need to take extra care for our personal safety during the holidays. We just received this email from the Gaithersburg Police Department and I want to share it with you. This is a very good topic for family discussions.
Also, be alert in your office. Thieves try to gain access to offices where they can snatch purses or other valuables from offices that are not occupied. Don’t leave that purse sitting on or beside your desk when you are going for coffee or an office meeting.
Be safe and have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Gaithersburg, MD (November 25, 2013). The Gaithersburg Police Department would like to remind citizens to be safe during the holiday season with some of these safety tips:
If you are traveling:
- Get an automatic timer for your lights.
- Ask a neighbor to watch your home and park in the driveway from time to time, if possible.
- Don’t forget to have mail and newspaper deliveries stopped.
If you are out for the evening:
- Turn on lights and a radio or TV to give the appearance of someone being home.
- Be sure to lock doors and windows, even if you’ll only be gone for a few minutes.
- Do not display gifts where they can be seen from the outside.
If you are shopping:
- Stay alert and aware of your surroundings.
- Park in well-lighted areas.
- Be sure to lock your car and hide shopping bags and gifts in the trunk.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash. Pay with a check or credit/debit card when possible.
- Deter pickpockets and purse-snatchers. Don't overburden yourself with packages. Be extra careful with purses and wallets. Carry a purse close to your body, not dangling by the straps. Put a wallet in an inside coat or front pants pocket.
In an effort to be proactive during this holiday season, the police department will be deploying its theft from auto “Bait Car” in various shopping centers. The “Bait Car” is a vehicle operated by the police which contains valuable items to draw attention to it. In some cases, the vehicle may be left unlocked. The “Bait Car” is equipped to immediately notify officers when a theft or attempted theft from the vehicle is made, and the criminal activity of the suspect(s) is video recorded.
Colonial Williamsburg, Gardens IMG_0865
Photograph by Roy Kelley
Roy and Dolores Kelley Photographs