Originally settled by New England farmers in 1834 and later by German immigrants in 1848, Elk Grove Village flourished along with the crops in its fields. Named for the herds of elk that called the local woodlands home, Elk Grove continued to grow to include commercial enterprises - such as general stores, smithies, creameries and churning houses. In 1868, the first school (Biesterfield School) was built; the building still stands and is used as a private residence.
Elk Grove Village, covering 10 square miles northwest of Chicago in Cook and DuPage Counties, is indeed a great place to live, work and own a business. Due to its high-quality park and recreation programs, low crime rate, good schools, diversity of housing, sense of community, and prime location, Elk Grove was named one of the best places to live in America in the second edition of 50 Fabulous Places to Raise Your Family. With a population of 33,429 and more than 3,500 business enterprises, Elk Grove Village successfully blends a vibrant and growing commercial center with family-friendly neighborhoods, open green ways, parks and forest preserves.
Elk Grove Village is ideally located for both businesses and families. Just 22 miles northwest of Chicago and minutes from O'Hare International Airport and a half dozen interstate highways, Elk Grove's suburban locale offers residents and businesses easy access to Chicago's cultural events, neighboring suburbs, and Midwest, national and international markets.
Elk Grove Village offers the lowest combined Property Tax Rate in the Northwest Suburbs.
The Elk Grove Village Park District makes sure kids and adults keep busy year-round. The district operates 44 parks and a number of recreational facilities - including two water parks, a fitness center, a museum and a golf course. The district oversees the Farmhouse Museum, located in a house dating to 1850, which provides a look at rural life between 1860 and 1900. The park district organizes children's sports programs and also schedules hundreds of classes each year - including dance, art, karate, swimming, aerobics and drama.
Tour the Parks with these 360 degree Tours
Bicyclists, hikers, anglers, naturalists and cross-country skiers head to Ned Brown Preserve (Busse Woods) - a 3,700-acre Cook County Forest Preserve located between Golf and Biesterfield Roads. The preserve is home to a resident elk herd, a 437-acre nature preserve, miles of trails and 590-acre Busse Lake - a prime location for boating and fishing.
At Pirates' Cove Theme Park, kids and adults enjoy bumper boats, a climbing wall, a 60-foot cable slide and more. Meanwhile, The Fitness and Wellness Center includes an indoor running track, racquetball courts, swimming pools, and more than 175 state-of-the-art exercise machines.
The 18-hole Fox Run Golf Course and Driving Range satisfies every golfer's needs. In addition to offering subscription passes, the golf course organizes leagues, tournaments and classes for residents ages five and up.
Village Numbers and Statistics
1. 2nd highest in state in number of manufacturing firms.
2. 90-million pounds of raw material and finished product flow in and out of industrial park every day.
3. Is home to businesses that represent every major country that trades with the U.S., including over 100 Japanese firms.
4. Offers 80-million square feet (under roof) of industrial and commercial property.
5. Average size of building in the Village's Business Park is 25,000-square feet.
6. Has seen a steady gain of 100 companies per year for the past 10 years.
7. Elk Grove Village became the 47th Certified City in Illinois recognized for its outstanding economic development programs and activities. Less than 5% of Illinois municipalities attain this recognition.
8. Over 75 companies in the Business Park have an outlet store, showroom, walk-in counter, etc.
9. A $30 million, 10-year Revitalization Plan for the Business Park is underway to improve transportation, land use, urban design and boost private sector competitiveness.
Elk Grove Village Residents Information
Elk Grove Village
Bike Path Maps
Lyn, Please send me more info OR I've got some questions to ask you!