Keeping Paint Off Trim and Floors (Avoiding Paint Spattering)
Have you ever wondered why when you paint your walls, you leave small droplets of paint that speckle or spatter all over your trim, carpet, tile, or wood floors? This issue is called roller spattering. Roller spattering is when a roller throws off small droplets of paint while you are applying the paint to the wall. This can occur for multiple reasons. Three of the most common are:
- Using the wrong nap-size roller cover when applying the paint/stain
- Overloading the roller cover with too much paint
- Rolling the wall too quickly
There are a few things you can do to avoid this issue:
- The most effective and efficient solution is to hire a professional painting company if you can afford to do so. Professional painters are surprisingly affordable. We frequently are called to homes that customers have attempted to paint themselves first. Save yourself money and call professionals to complete the job before you start it. Worst case-scenario, you receive a free estimate and still complete the project yourself. All you spend is your time.
- If you attempt the painting project yourself, be sure to consult your local paint store for tips. I would recommend a paint store that specializes in paint products, such as Sherwin-Williams or Benjamin Moore. These companies have trained professionals that are happy to provide advice and tips.
- Ask your local painting store sales representative what nap-size to use. Describe the type of surface you are painting, i.e. Drywall, siding, stucco, etc. and they will be able to assist you in choosing the correct nap-size for your roller cover.
- For Do-It-Yourselfers, remember, slow and steady will win the race. Take your time and do not be in a rush to complete the project. Do not expect to finish the project in the same amount of time a professional could....remember, these men and women are skilled craftsmen that do this for a living....remember the learning curve of your job or raising your children, perfection takes time and practice. Remember, loading the roller with extra paint will not finish the job more quickly; it will only make the project sloppier and more expensive over the long-run. Also, rolling too quickly will make a messy floor and a messy finished project. TAKE YOUR TIME or call A Finishing Touch Painters, LLC. 866-308-0011.
A Finishing Touch Painters
Painting Houses Into Homes
One Home at a Time
About the author:
A Finishing Touch Painters began as in interior and exterior residential painting company in the Southwest, West, and Northwest suburbs of Chicago, IL. Originally, the company focused on painting houses in the Naperville, Plainfield, Oswego, and Yorkville areas in the "South Region" and painting houses in Huntley, Lake in the Hills, Algonquin, and Crystal Lake in the "North Region." Over the years, A Finishing Touch Painters South Region expanded into painting homes in Bolingbrook, Aurora, Montgomery, Plano, and North Aurora. The North region expanded into painting homes in Elgin, Gilberts, Sleepy Hollow, Dundee, and West Dundee. Through their exceptional service, A Finishing Touch Painters has expanded again. A Finishing Touch Painters is now servicing most of the Chicagoland suburbs.
(Copyright © 2008 by A Finishing Touch Painters, LLC. All Rights Reserved.)