This information and more can be found at: http://www.pataskalaohio.com
The first settler to the area which was to become known as Pataskala was David Heron, who was living here in 1805 when Richard Conine and his wife Sarah visited the area. Richard Conine, who was to become known as the "Father of Pataskala", liked what he saw, and when he returned home to New Jersey, he arranged to purchase 2,000 acres of land here.
He returned to this area in 1821 to live and built the first grist mill in the area at the south end of town, and prior to 1850, platted a village which he called Conine.However, by the end of 1850, he had sold most of his land, much of it to Jess Stoneman Green, and it was Green who actually put the village of Pataskala on the map. Green laid out lots and sold them, built buildings for businesses, and donated land for schools and churches.
In 1851, the village of Pataskala received its first Post Office, and controversy grew over the name of "Conine" until finally the name "Pataskala", which is an Indian word meaning Licking, was decided upon and from that point the village continued to grow until it was finally incorporated in 1891.
In 1994 Lima Township and the Village of Pataskala voters agreed to establish a merger commission to research a possible merger. In 1995, the citizens voted unanimously to accept the merger proposal, and as of January 19, 1997, the Secretary of State declared Pataskala to be of city status.
The City of Pataskala encompasses 39 square miles of territory. Its boundaries begin at the Franklin/ Licking County lines on the west and extend to past Watkins road on the east. The northern boundary is south of CR. 25, Morse Road, and Jersey Township.