A while back I blogged on our efforts to assist our clients at the Orlando Apopka Airport with an appeal of their taxable property values. After a lot of phone calls, emails and work, I am glad to report that the Property Appraiser has agreed that the values placed on the land values in this development were wrong. The case never went to a hearing because once brought to light, the issue was obvious.
Only two sizes of lots in the development were appealed and adjusted. The reason for this is that the other sizes simply were not being over valued. This is an important point. If the sales in an area are for greater amounts than the taxable value an appeal of the value will not result in a lowered appraisal. In this case, the properties had never sold for prices as high as they were appraised.
• Watch your tax notices.
• Ask for help from a trusted Realtor or appraiser to determine the correct market value. Data is the key to supporting your case.
• Don't be afraid to appeal the value if it is wrong.
• Encourage other owners to do the same. There is strength in numbers.
• Be polite to the Appraiser's employees. They will be helpful. The Orange County office was really great to work with throughout the process.
• Get EVERYTHING in writing and keep notes.
We sincerely hope that our experience will assist others. It was quite a learning experience, but we are glad we jumped in and took it on. We estimate each lot owner will save an average of $1000 in taxes this year. For the almost 60 owners, it was worth the time they took to work for a change.