Don't let your cat or dog become a chocoholic

By
Real Estate Agent with HomeSmart Realty West CalBRE #01458572

 

I've always known that chocolate was bad for our little furry friends -- both dogs and cats -- but I've never really understood why. Since I'm pretty much a chocoholic, albeit a controlled chocoholic (can there be such a thing?), and Zoey the cool cat lives with me,

I thought I'd see what the Internet said about chocolate poisoning for pets and the signs of chocolate poisoning. I do keep chocolate candy bars on the kitchen counter, and while Zoey knows that certain areas of the house are out of bounds (e.g., kitchen countertops, dining room table, top of refrigerator since there's an intermediate stop on the kitchen countertop, and my grand piano), one always has to be prepared when there's an animal involved.

So off we go ("into the wild blue yonder." Or is "to follow the yellow brick road"?) to investigate chocolate.

Chocolate is made from cacao beans, and the toxic component is theobromine. I would have thought that anything that ends in "bromine" probably would have had some bromine in it, but not in this case. Theobromine is simply a derivation of Theobroma, which is the genus of the cacao tree.

Theobromine was discovered in 1841 in cacao beans and isolated in 1878. Uses in modern medicine include as a diuretic and heart stimulant. I can vouch for the heart stimulant; my heart beats a few times faster when there's chocolate in the room -- LOL.

Interestingly, theobromine is one of the byproducts when the human liver processes caffeine.

The toxic dose of theobromine for our pets is 100-200 milligrams per 2.2 pounds of pet weight, although the ASPCA has documented problems at concentrations as low as 20 milligrams per 2.2 pounds of weight.

Worst chocolates for your pets:

  1. Unsweetened chocolate, also known as baker's chocolate -- 390-450 milligrams of theobromine per ounce
  2. Semi-sweet chocolate -- 150-300 milligrams of theobromine per ounce
  3. Milk chocolate -- 44-60 milligrams of theobromine per ounce
  4. White chocolate -- small amounts; poisoning unlikely

Translated into something we can understand, a 50 pound dog would have to eat about nine ounces of milk chocolate to ingest 20 milligrams per 2.2 pounds of weight. Zoey the cool cat would have to eat about two ounces.

I found a list of warning signs for chocolate poisoning for our pets, and the same list was in several articles. I don't really like the final item on the list, "death." I would ask, "Can death be a WARNING sign?" I guess it could be if you have other pets. Anyway, here's the warning signs:

  • excitement
  • nervousness
  • trembling
  • vomiting
  • diarrhea
  • excessive thirst accompanied by excessive urination
  • muscle spasms
  • seizures
  • coma
  • death

Take care of your pets.


Be sure to scroll down for titles and quick links to some of my other blog entries.


Inspired by nature? Join the Inspired By Nature Group.

Classical music lover? Join the Classical Music Group.

Want to share a good book? Join the Active Rain Book Club.

Some of Jim's blog entries

  1. If you needed to hide from someone, could you do it in today's world?
  2. Loose lips don't always sink ships. Sometimes they just make you smile.
  3. How much sleep do you get each day?
  4. Are you prepared for an emergency?
  5. Tuesday laugh session with the "treadmill kitty cats"
close

This entry hasn't been re-blogged:

Re-Blogged By Re-Blogged At
Spam prevention

Accessibility option: listen to a question and answer it!

To submit the form,
drag the folder to the circle on the side.

Type below the answer to what you hear. Numbers or words, lowercase:

Topic:
ActiveRain Community
Groups:
Active Rain Cat Lovers
Cats
It's Raining DOGS! Dog Lovers Group
Pet Friendly Real Estate
PETS ARE PEOPLE TOO
Tags:
chocolate
pets
pet care

Comments 9 New Comment

Anonymous
Post a Comment
Spam prevention

Accessibility option: listen to a question and answer it!

To submit the form,
drag the key to the circle on the side.

Type below the answer to what you hear. Numbers or words, lowercase:

Show All Comments
Ambassador
526,491
Konnie McCarthy
Associate Broker - VA & MD
Realty Direct, LLC/Realty Direct, Inc.

My dog is 130 pounds ate an entire bag of herserys kisses....foil and all...and didn't skip a beat.....this dog has the worst sweet tooth I've ever seen.....

November 20, 2008 07:01 AM
Rainmaker
298,489
Heather the Realtor Orlando, Lake Mary
First Time Home Buyers, Bank Owned Homes
LemonTree Realty

I agree that we should usually not feed our pets human food unless it's not processed or fully cooked. I had cat that screamed his head off every time we cooked chicken because he knew he would get some. HE also loved corn on the cob. It was a pain. Loved him but learned to quite feeding table scraps and you will be happier with your pet.

November 20, 2008 07:18 AM
Rainmaker
106,564
Kelly Willey
Short Sale Agent - Harford County Maryland Real Estate
Long and Foster BEL AIR MARYLAND

Easter is tough for my Zeke as he always gets into the baskets and I find empty foil Kiss wrappers under the beds and him puking and panting like a crack head...LOL

 

maryland real estate foreclosure short sale

November 20, 2008 07:31 AM
Ambassador
665,362
Ann Allen Hoover
CDPE SRES ASP e-PRO Realtor - Homes for Sale - AL
RE/MAX Advantage South

I hope that your post is read by some people who aren't aware of this danger.  There are so many things pets shouldn't be fed....better to be safe and not give them people food!

November 20, 2008 07:35 AM
Rainmaker
411,898
Betina Foreman
Realtor, C.N.E. Selling Homes in Lake Travis & Central Austin!
512-771-6318 Austin Home Girls Realty

Jim,

This is a great post especially at this time of year when gift baskets are sitting on every table and under every tree. Thanks for reminding us to protect our pets!

Betina

November 20, 2008 07:38 AM
Rainmaker
891,496
Michael Setunsky
Your Commercial Real Estate Link to Northern VA
Michael's Commercial LLC

Jim, this is a great danger to our pets. With the holidays coming around, thanks for the reminder to keep chocolate out of reach.

November 20, 2008 07:48 AM
Rainmaker
250,466
Joel Weihe
Helping you to use your VA home loan benefits
Realty World Alliance

Great advice.  I often feel guilty enjoying a big hershey's bar in front of the furry crew, couldn't imagine life without chocolate.  But.... i think I'd give up chocolate if I could enjoy the life of a cat (house cat, that is!)

November 20, 2008 07:15 PM
Rainmaker
495,668
Brian Burke
Broker & Advising Expert-Denver Luxury Real Estate
Kenna Real Estate

Jim - lucky for me our cat doesn't like chocolate, I would know, she would be eating mine! LOL. She does like whip cream though... ~Rita

November 20, 2008 09:19 PM
Rainmaker
735,126
Maureen Megowan
Palos Verdes Real Estate Blog
Remax Estate Properties - BRE #01368971

I had a friend whose dog got into some bakers chocolate while they were moving and unfortunately died. More pet owners need to know how dangerous chocolate is for dogs

November 25, 2008 04:27 PM
Anonymous
Post a Comment
Spam prevention

Accessibility option: listen to a question and answer it!

To submit the form,
drag the folder to the circle on the side.

Type below the answer to what you hear. Numbers or words, lowercase:

Show All Comments
Rainmaker
1,108,089

Jim Frimmer

Realtor & CDPE, Mission Valley specialist
Ask me a question
*
*
*
Spam prevention

Accessibility option: listen to a question and answer it!

To submit the form,
drag the balloons to the circle on the side.

Type below the answer to what you hear. Numbers or words, lowercase: