Do you Tweet? Do you use Facebook? What about using a Blackberry? Do you text? If you're not doing all of the above and you want to tap into one of the most important generations that will be buying in 2009, then you'd better get to it! Gen X-ers (born 1965 - 1976) started the trend and now we have a new generation who is incredibly tech savvy. Those born between 1977 and 1994, known as the Generation Y-ers are not into cold calls or even friendly phone calls! They prefer to text and text is what you must do to be able to communicate with those from both of these generations.
The Y-Generation commands more spending power than those of us in previous generations did at their age. They may come out of college with student loans that many of us did not have to worry about but, a large portion of them are graduating college and pulling in $100K per year in their new technology jobs. They CAN purchase homes and ARE purchasing homes; 2009 holds a promising new group of Gen-Y buyers for those of us in the real estate business and we need to be sure that our business plan incorporates them into it.
Here are a few items to add to (or check-off ) your list to ascertain that you're able to attract this promising generation to your business:
1. Twitter: There have been many posts regarding Twitter, what it is, how to feed your AR posts to Twitter and just how to 'Tweet' someone. Take a few moments to sign up and create your profile, then feed your Active Rain posts to Twitter. You'll be surprised at how soon you'll be 'found' on Twitter!
2. Facebook: This forum began as a teen site and I was reluctant to join but, after my own teens insisted that I 'try' it, I've met many wonderful people there and even have some clients from the site! The set-up process is relatively easy and you can read others' posts with tutorials as to how to set up Facebook. As with Twitter, you can add your RSS feeds to Facebook from AR.
3. Learn to use text--that was the hardest of all for me--I just didn't have the patience to use texting because the keyboard seemed so small to me. Practice with a family member for awhile and you'll soon be as speedy as others who use it every day! Remember, Gen Y-ers LOVE to get that text message that their Offer has been accepted!
4. Viral marketing-- incorporating You-Tube into your advertising; that's what the Gen Y-ers are into right now! Get into it and you'll soon find that you're hooked too! Use this forum to create buzz within this age group and showcase your listings that fit into the Gen-Y budget.
5. Treat this generation like GOLD--not only are they important in you're business but, they WANT to feel important! Spoil them and let them know that you can communicate with them--remember instant gratification is this generation's demand! Don't just check your email once or twice a day; check it more often than you do your voice messages! Be the first agent to respond to their email inquiry!
6. As with every generation, Gen Y-ers LOVE photos! Post them everywhere! And for Pete's sake, don't just post the front elevation shot on MLS and online--post the maximum allowed on each and every site--this is what they love!
The members of Generation Y are your future business in 2009! They are more qualified to buy a home than any generation in the past. They're well-educated and with those higher salaries are more likely to be qualified for a mortgage than any other generation in the past--right out of college. Interest rates are down and the selection of homes are far better than other generations have had. Be sure that you're including these simple tasks in YOUR marketing efforts.
Disclaimer: All information provided by this author is strictly an opinion, is not guaranteed, may be based on information collected from several sources, which may or may not be deemed reliable at the time of researching this article and may be time sensitive.